XXXI

"You rejected him?!" Alexis shouts and I cover her mouth instantly. I look around her room, making sure the door's closed.

I glare at her. "Yes, I did. But the world doesn't have to know that so keep your big mouth shut!"

She narrows her eyes at me and I yelp, feeling her teeth sink into my skin.

"I won't tell anyone, Blair. But really? He has very strong feelings for you and I know you feel the same about him. So what's your problem?"

I gulp and shake my head. "I don't have a problem."

"Oh, is that so?" Alexis scoffs. "Okay, spill, Blair. You've been acting strange all week."

Why does she have to be so intimidating?

"It's just the fact that I got married not too long a-"

"Oh, no! Don't even try to lie to me! I remember now that you haven't been yourself even before the wedding." She stares at me and I sigh, avoiding her eyes.

"I..."

Alexis stays silent for a moment before sighing. "Whatever you're hiding must be pretty big."

I nod weakly.

"Look, Blair." She takes my hand. "I'm your close friend. I mean, I'm your cousin-in-law! You can tell me anything."

I open my mouth, ready to confess, when the reality of what she might do hits me. She might tell River or my friends... And I definitely can't let that happen.

I force a smile on my face and look up at her. "I know. You're the best, Alexis. I'm really glad I have you but... this is something I don't want to share with anyone."

"But, Blair, I could help you." She offers but I shake my head.

"No, Alexis. I don't want you to worry about something that's going to fade soon. You–you'd freak out about nothing and I don't want that to happen."

"Well, guess what? I already am!"

I close my eyes firmly. "I promise you, Alexis. This is going to fade and everything will be fine."

Alexis doesn't speak or move. I open my eyes to see her glaring at me.

"Blair. You make River and everybody happy. You are my best friend and from the short amount that I've known you, I already love and care for you. I want to help you. I want to be there for you for something that I know is overwhelming you."

Alexis lowers her voice. "Please, Blair... let me help you."

I stare into her eyes and take a deep breath.

"You're right." I nod. "This is overwhelming me. I do need somebody by my side. I do need help. Right now, I need it a whole lot."

She smiles softly. I don't return the smile.

"But as much as I need it, I can't. Everything will fall apart if I tell you." I gaze at the picture of River and her on her dresser as I speak. "And the thing I need the most is River's happiness. He's so happy, Alexis. I can't take that away. He deserves to be happy."

"You're his wife! If something happened that involves you, he has the right to know!" Alexis argues. "It's one thing if you don't tell me but it's a whole other level if you don't tell your own husband."

She's right. I know she is. That doesn't change what will happen if River finds out though.

"I know that. I just..."

Alexis puts her hand up to stop me from speaking. "You have to tell him, Blair. He's your husband and he cares about you so much. He would die for you."

My breath hitches at that.

"I..." I look into at her eyes and guilt bubbles inside me. "I–I just can't! I can't, okay! I will find a way to get through this then everything will be back to normal! I won't have to tell anybody anything!"

She frowns at me. "You say you don't want to ruin things but if you do this, you'll be ruining a lot more than you would if you told the truth."

I look down in shame because I know she's right again. She just doesn't understand, the truth is way worse than she thinks.

"I'm sorry." I murmur and run out of her room. I hear her voice calling me but I ignore it. I run to the lab that River just created to make more high tech weapons, like the memory shot from our mission together.

"Whoa, slow down there." Someone says when I run into them. I look up and relief fills me.

I smile gratefully. "Oh thank God you're here, Wilbur!" The perfect distraction!

"Why? What's wrong?" He furrows his eyebrows and I wave him off.

"Oh, it's nothing. Um...how's the research going?"

Wilbur brightens at the topic. "Right! So I'm still researching but I think I'm getting closer."

I smile. A couple weeks ago, I caught a problem in one of our new weapons. It's a weapon that can release chemicals into the human body and eventually kills the victim. And I discovered that this is a somewhat new weapon, assassins are still learning how to use them. What if they accidentally injected themselves? Or what if they accidentally injected the wrong person? They obviously would need a cure ready.

River thought it wasn't important because assassins were going to be taught to use the weapons very carefully. But I convinced him that it's better to be safe than sorry. Plus, I was bored and I needed something to do around here.

"And? Any cure possibilities or ideas?" I question.

Wilbur shrugs. "Kind of. I just need one last ingredient that can overpower the main substance."

"Why?"

"Well, the main substance is the most powerful. I've tried almost everything to decrease its power, even just a little, but nothing's working."

I nod. "Alright then. Thanks, Wilbur. Next time, I'm hoping to hear some good news."

"I'll keep trying." He sighs and I smile. I check on some other people in the lab before walking to my room.

"Blair!"

All I wanted was one nap! One!

I sigh and turn around. Sam grins at me with Drake and Cody behind her.

"Hey, guys."

"Where have you been, BA? You've been skipping breakfast." Sam hugs me and I apologize quickly.

"I'm sorry. I've been having breakfast in the office and working." I say and she nods understandingly.

Sam smiles. "It's okay. Wanna have a movie marathon with us?"

"Oh." I frown. "I'm really tired. It's been a long day. But, uh, maybe next week?"

"Um, yeah. Sure."

Cody gives me a quick hug. "You know where to find us if you change your mind." I smile in response.

"And if you need some comfort food, just call me." Drake winks and I nod.

"Thanks. I really don't deserve all of you." I smile and they shake their heads.

Sam laughs as she passes by me. "It's us who don't deserve you."

I frown at that. She may be joking but whether she knew it or not, she was right.

You really need to fix this, Blair. Or everyone will suffer because of you.

GOT ANY IDEAS ON WHAT BLAIR'S SECRET IS? COMMENT!!!