XIX

"My fiancée, Blair. The best assassin in this organization will be my wife. We shall lead this organization together...forever."

It's silent for a while and I squirm uncomfortably. River, unexpectedly, interlocks our fingers and I gasp quietly. Everyone's eyes stare at our hands.

Then, they bow.

All of them in sync bow to us and River smiles brightly. He squeezes my hand lightly and I smile at him.

"Thank you, assassins. Have a good night." He waves at everyone with his other hand and leads me down, off the small stage.

Both of his hands hold mine and his eyes regard me with happiness.

"That wasn't so bad, was it?"

I chuckle, "Nope."

"Good." River smiles and I'm surprised by his joyful mood. His eyes suddenly widen and he lets go of my hands, "I almost forgot..."

"What?" I furrow my eyebrows and he takes something out of his back pocket.

My heart beats fast and my body burns.

"Now...you're officially my fiancée." River slides the ring onto my finger and I bite my lip. The shiny silver metal feels cold on my skin but its meaning brings me warmth.

"Wow." I whisper, "I...it's beautiful. T–thank you."

"Of course." River nods and he holds my hand again. I feel mixed emotions but it all sums up to one question.

How am I going to be wed to this man and not love in with him?

But as I watch River smile at his people, glance at me from time to time, never let my hand go, include me in his conversations, I realize the answer is simple.

I can't.

•••

  "I can't believe you didn't tell me!" Sam yells. "How could you be so selfish?"

  I smile and choke back a laugh, "Is it too late now to say sorry?"

  "YES! IT FREAKING IS!"

  "CAUSE I'M, MISSING MORE THAN JUST YOUR BODY-Y-Y!" Cody jumps into my room, singing as loud as he can. Drake slowly walks in while Sam curses quietly, her curses directed at me.

  Drake chuckles at Sam then turns to Cody. He eyes him carefully before shaking his head, sighing.

  "Cody, did you take drugs or something?" Drake asks him, completely serious, and Cody dances in a way no sane person would.

  "Nope! But it sure feels like it!" Cody exclaims, putting more emphasis on 'sure', and Drake blinks at him lazily.

  "You have issues, man. That's all I'm gonna say."

  "Meh, it's more than you usually say." Sam intervenes and I make an ooh sound.

  "Burn! You just got burned, Drake! Need some ice?" I put my hand over my heart, my voice soft, "Nutella?"

  "Well, " Drake narrows his eyes at Samantha, "At least I don't use every single word in the dictionary every day."

  It's silent for a moment. Cody freezes and we watch the tense scene. Sam and Drake stare at each other with so much intensity, my eyes begin to water.

  "TRUE!" Samantha laughs and Drake smiles. Cody and I look at each other and shrug. Weirdos.

  "Anyway, we are definitely having a bachelorette party." She says and Cody gasps.

  "Can I come?" He pouts pleadingly, "Please."

  "You're a guy though."

  "So? Exceptions?" Cody grins and I shrug.

  "Sure. Wouldn't be the same without you."

  "What about me?" Drake questions and I turn to him.

  "Oh, of course you're coming. You're my food supplier."

  "Mostly Nutella." He winks and I smile.

  "It's decided then! Me, you, Cody, and Drake will attend the bachelorette party. Nobody else, right?" Sam raises an eyebrow at me and I nod.

  "Can't really invite my sister or my mom so..." I trail off and they nod understandably.

  "Yeah. But don't worry. I'll make sure you have the best party ever." She looks at Cody and Drake sternly, "Right, guys?"

  "Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes." Cody sings to the tune of Work by Rihanna and I chuckle.

  Drake gives her a thumbs up, "Yep."