VIII

My head was pounding.

All I could think about was the fact that the entire time I spent staring at River in school, imagining how wonderful he was, was a lie. He wasn't wonderful. He was a murderer.

"River, you should take Blair to her dorm. She needs some time to rest and grasp what's happening, " Alexander suggested. I realized he used my name, which I did not tell him.

Before I could react, River grabbed my arm and lead me out of the room. I pulled away from him. "Don't touch me."

"Fine, " he grumbled in annoyance.

I kept my distance from him as we walked through the building. I assumed this was the Blue Assassins' headquarters. I froze when I realized something.

"Wait, " I said and River rolled his eyes, facing me.

"What now?"

"What am I going to tell my family?" I questioned, feeling my panic rising. "I can't just say 'hey, mom and dad. I joined the Blue Assassins! Yes, it is as bad as it sounds. But, I don't have a say in it because you'll die if I reject them. Sorry?' No! They'd have a heart attack at the spot!"

"That'd be convenient."

"No, it wouldn't!" I exclaimed and he sighed.

"Okay, fine. Just...tell them that you're going to a private school and it's a once in a lifetime kind of thing. Then, say something like 'it's the most prestigious private school in the world' and 'only a few people each year are specifically chosen to enroll'. And say that it's far away and you have to live in the dorms there."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Hold up, do I have to live here too?"

"Of course. We can't risk you revealing us to your family, " River nodded, making me let out a groan.

"And I thought that I had already hit rock bottom."

"You were wrong. Now, let's go, " River said impatiently and I reluctantly followed after him.

"Your room is that one down the hall, " River pointed to the far end of the hallway and I nodded in response. Suddenly, a door nearby opened; two boys came out of it.

"You should've seen her, Drake. She was hilarious. I heard that she's going to join us!" one of them said. I squinted before my eyes widened in recognition.

"Blondie!" I called out to him and he faced me.

"Sassy cat!" he grinned.

"What? Sassy cat? Really?"

"What? Blondie? Really? You do know that you're blonde too, right?"

I chuckled. "Touché. Hey, were you just talking about me?"

"Maybe, " Blondie winked playfully while my eyes traveled to the black haired boy beside him. "Oh, this is Drake."

"I'm Blair, " I smiled at him. He nodded, stuffing Nutella in his mouth. I gasped: "Is that Nutella? I like you already."

"Assassin Cody, Assassin Drake, " River interrupted abruptly, but I ignored him.

"Cody? That's your name?" I scoffed. "That's definitely a blonde boy name."

They both bowed for River. "Leader."

"Should I be bowing too?"

"Yes, " River snapped. "But, I don't see that happening anytime soon."

"Oh, you guys have a smart leader!" I taunted him.

"Sassy cat!" Cody hissed and I quirked an eyebrow at him.

"Yes?"

"Bow for the leader."

I laughed. "In his dreams."

River glared at me in response.

"Dude, do you have a death wish?" Cody whispered not so quietly; I did the same.

"No, that's why I joined! So, my loved ones and myself, won't die."

River sighed in exasperation. "Blair, you have two hours."

"Uh, for what?" I asked while he opened the door to my room for me.

"Dinner. Go get ready."

"But, my parents...they don't know where I am. I can't say goodbye?"

"I'll take you tomorrow. They think you're at your friend, Selene's, house and she covered for you. She thinks you're going to a party, " he explained to me.

"Party, " I scoffed. "Sure. What about my clothes?"

"We'll get them all at your house, but here's a dress for tonight, " River handed me the dress and I chuckled as I looked at it.

"Blue. Of course, " I muttered. He turned to leave, but I quickly stopped him. "Hey, River!"

He locked eyes with me. "Yeah?"

"Thanks. For letting me say bye to my family, " I gave him a small smile.

"You're welcome, Blair, " River nodded before leaving with Cody and Drake behind him.

Before he did, though, I caught the shadow of a smile on his lips