Chapter 6: Shadows and Stitches

Start from the beginning

More curios now, Wendy lifted the fabric, and held it in front of her. The material was not black, but more of a translucent gray. Eyes widening, she realized it had taken form. She held before her a shape of a boy. A very cocky boy, with hands on hips, but a boy nonetheless. Wendy looked down at Nana, then back at the shape, then back to Nana. It...it looked like a...a shadow.

Nana got bored of the new discovery and went back to her rug and fell asleep. Wendy continued to gaze at the ...well...shadow in awe. How did it....

"I'd like to have my shadow back, if you don't mind."

Frightened Wendy wheeled around to face the window, clutching the fabric behind her. There she stood, staring opened mouthed at the boy floating in her window.

....................................................................................

Peter smirked as he watched the girl fish for words. He put on an air of bravado to mask the Indian war drum in his heart and excited butterflies in his stomach. With mock confidence he glided into the room, until he was a breath away from her face.

"The shadow? Behind you." He said pointing around her back.

The girl stared up at him with wide blue eyes, and then blinked rapidly as if coming out of a trance.

"Oh! Of course! This must be your shadow; I mean who else's could it be? And after all you did leave it here after Nana chased you around the nursery. And of course you would miss it so you came back to get it, wouldn't you?"

Peter scratched his head and the onslaught of words coming from the girl. "Girls talk too much."

"Yes they do, don't the...oh what?" she stumbled, accidently agreeing with him.

"I said, girls talk too much. And can I have my shadow?" Peter repeated tapping his foot impatiently.

The girl's face fell. "Oh...oh yes, here it is." she handed the shadow over to the boy.

Peter took his shadow gratefully and started to look around the room for something to make it stick. He looked under a dresser, on top of a shelf, and then finally in the wash basin where there was a bar of something that might work. The girl watched with curious amusement as he tried to use soap to stick the shadow back on.

"Whatever are you doing?" she smiled.

"Trying to get my shadow back on, what do you think I'm doing, girl?" Peter replied frustrated. This bar wasn't working; it was just making everything slippery. And the girl seemed to find it funny which did not make Peter happy.

"My name is not girl. It is Wendy. Wendy Moira Angela Darling. An..."

"Wendy's enough for me" he interrupted.

"As I was saying, you can't stick it on with soap silly! It needs sewing. That is the proper way to do it."

Peter watched as Wendy pulled the soap from his hand. Then went to a drawer and pulled out a needle and thread. She sat down on the floor and patted the bed beside her expectantly. Peter stared at her cautiously.

"It will hurt a little, and it will be over fast so it is okay if you cry." She said encouragingly when he didn't move.

His pride wounded at that remark Peter landed on the bed and forcefully replied," I never cry."

Wendy began threading her needle. "Alright" After a few stitches she cried out "Oh! I don't even know your name!"

Pulling out his dagger and studying it he replied nonchalantly, "Peter Pan."