Chapter 1

"Couldn't you maybe just let me go with a warning? There was quite a bit of traffic this morning and walking through it all while carrying books twice your weight and balancing a coffee practically on your head, really doesn't make getting to class on time any easier."

That's it. Bat the lashes. Tuck hair behind your ear. Bite gently on your lower lip. I cannot be late for class again.

"I-I don't know. My job as a hall monitor is to not let people like you go to class without a slip signed by the office."

"Oh. I guess that's okay then."

Okay now to step it up. Look down at your shoes. We have to finish strong.

"It is your job and you really don't want to-"

I lifted my head in a swift but soft motion allowing my once tucked away straight blonde hair to fall back in front of my face. I threw out my best persuasive eyes and and bit the corner of my lip again tilting my head slightly.

"Break the rules."

"No no! I- I think I can give you a warning. Just this once though. Having you miss class would just diminish your education. Please just go to class. But hurry." The poor hall monitor said.

"Thank you so much! You are being such a big help!" I said rushing off down the hall.

"Oh and maybe we could hang out sometime?"

I turned back to see the boy standing with his hands in his pockets the question still looming in his eyes.

He wasn't unfortunate looking. Definitely not my type though. If I even have a type. He was tall and lanky with short hair cut military style. Wide framed glasses perched on his nose and a crooked smile that was warm, but not inviting.

Yes. Definitely not my type.

But I had to play through. No plan is fully executed without a great follow through.

"Maybe I can catch you at lunch." I nodded zipping off to class without even learning his name.

Now don't start looking down on me because I just took advantage of that semi dorky hall monitor. I don't like doing that to people. I have to. Otherwise I would be sitting in the detention hall every Friday because of all my tardies.

And also don't start judging me to be one of those popular girls who spends her weekends finding new guys to date every hour. I'm truthfully the dorkiest dork you could find at a dork convention that is being held at a dork emporium.

I'm not very skilled in the outgoing social area. I have made higher advancements in the 'overly awkward in situations' skill category.

But I'm not socially awkward to the point that I don't talk to people. I'm awkward to the point where I might burst out into a cheetah girls song because I don't know what else to say.

And what happened back in the hallway may have given off the impression that I'm good with guys. And that would be completely wrong.

I'm good at manipulating people. Or as you could say, getting people to do favors for you. Little favors, regular favors, hiding a dead body in a ditch type favors

-Not that I've had to do that-

But things like that. I have never been able to hold out a regular civilized conversation with a guy that didn't lead to me freaking out or confusing the guy. Well, only if that guy was on my radar. Other guys are fine. Just certain guys.

Am I being racial against guys?

Today is going to be very long.

"Ms. Stiller, you are late again. May I see your pass?" My very monotone voiced teacher asked me.

"Actually Mr. Seeder I got excused by the hall monitor." I smiled attempting to give off an innocent look.

Mr. Seeder glanced my way without moving his body from behind his dreaded lecture podium. A.k.a the podium he never leaves. (If that helps you get the gist of what my class with him is like.)

I felt his beady yellow eyes scan me up and down almost as if he were giving me a mental drug test. I was half expecting his tongue to stick out occasionally like a snake to match those eyes. It's like his presence scared his own body so much that the green that apparently used to be there just scampered away. Much like most of his students.

"Very well. Take your seat." He sighed.

Two people in one day. I'm on a role. And bonus points for a teacher.

I walked to the back of the classroom without making eye contact with the others.

"Okay class where was I?" The lecture king asked. His seemingly rhetorical question was answered with the moans and, a few snores, from the class.

Welcome to the life of a senior in high school. Only eighteen and I think I have already sold my soul to satan.

Twice.

"Let me guess another warning, huh Peyton?"

I turned to my right to face my friend Marren. Well, all I got was a face full of her curly orange hair.

Marren Douglas. The girl that was and still is the only real friend I've ever had. Of course I've had others but I have very strict qualifications for what a real friend is. (Thank you trust issues)

The only reason Marren is still my best friend today is simply because she has been my best friend since first grade.

Little first grader Marren, or should I say little first grader Constance Marren Douglas, approached me on the first day asking to be friends. She was afraid that nobody else would be her friend because of her name. She still can't imagine anyone who wants to be friends with a Constance. Which is why she goes by her middle name.

Not to mention her hair is more outgoing than she is.

"Actually yes. The hall monitor was exceptionally nice today." I said throwing my hair into the ponytail I had in before I took it down for my event with the boy.

"That has to be your fifth warning just for this week." Marren laughed.

"And it won't be the last!"

"Let me know when a cute one finally asks you out. God knows you been through every single other one, but attractive boys just don't seem to want to be hall monitors." She said whipping out a nail filer.

"I don't know the one today was averagely cute." I tried helplessly to defend the boy. But Marren knows her men. Or at least she says she does.

"And I bet that short plump one with the abnormally large nose that tried to grab my boob that one day I came to school with you was too!" She snapped.

I burst out into a fit of laughter remembering poor Marren's face when the sophomore pervert reached out in attempts to grab her boob. I was letting my laugh scream through the air. The entire class turned their heads to face me and my obnoxiously loud laugh.

"Ms. Stiller I would very much appreciate you not interrupting my class with your ruckus. There are some people in here that actually care about school and wish to pass my class." Mr. Seeder spat at me.

His comment immediately shot me down in the heart. I've always been a good student. Actually a near perfect student. I have above 98s in all my classes this semester (3 of which are AP) and I am extremely respectful in class. That is if I am not sitting next Marren. She brings out the worst in every good student.

"I'm sorry Mr. Seeder and I don't mean to be disrespectful with this but I would like to remind you that I have the highest average in your class. So please don't tell me that I am not here to pass your class." I stated calmly.

"Ooooh." Marren whispered.

"Well I would like I remind you that you will be joining Mr. Marshal in detention this afternoon." Mr. Seeder sassily stated with more emotion in his voice than he had shown in the past week.

"Double ooooh." Marren corrected herself.

"Oh shut it Constance!" I said flicking my blonde ponytail through the air.

"Wait what did I do to get detention? I've been quiet this whole damn class period! Are you kidding me?"

"You Mr. Marshal have just now talked back to the teacher and used foul language. You are lucky you don't have double detention. Now let's please continue without any other rude interruptions."

"Triple ooooh." Marren said again.

Just what I needed another afternoon in detention. And what's funny is that Mr. Seeder is the only teacher who has ever given me detention. He legitimately hates my guts.

And things don't get any better for me because now I have to spend that dreadful two hours with someone who is at the bottom of people I can tolerate list.

Luke Marshal.

Let me clear some things up. Luke is that popular 'jock' that everybody looks up to like he is the spawn of all things good in life. Sure he is very fit and athletic, pretty bright, and is extremely fortunate in terms of both home life and looks. But all of that doesn't give him the right to be an outright ass waffle.

You could probably guess by now that I DON'T LIKE HIM. His presence alone makes me cringe. The 'award winning smile' he always flashes. His practically photo-shopped image. And the fact that he had a tendency to be a bully. These all add to the annoyance factor.

I also just don't associate with his 'kind'.

And as much as society wishes to deny it, the world is separated into stereotypes. Yes you do have the Barbie doll bitches. But you also have the down to earth Barbie dolls. You also have the nerd bitches and the nice nerds. You have the freaks and the geeks. You have the artsy people and the drama kids. The athletic popular jocks and the kids who need to lay of the McDonalds. There is no avoiding the social ladder called high school categorizing.

Unless you are Marren and I. We don't seem to fit any of those groups.

Which is another reason why I don't like Luke. The one time he did actually speak to me was when he told me I should be hanging out with the Barbie doll bitches (except not those exact words) just because I was blonde and thin.

Sorry dude but I don't quite fit the bill. And I don't ever want to.

"Marren please get in trouble so I won't have to suffer alone." I whispered to my friend.

"Sorry chica I have actual plans with actual people tonight. And besides you won't be alone. You'll have Luke Marshal!" She said with a hint of cheerfulness.

She's only cheerful because she thinks he's hot. I'm not saying he isn't. I just don't want to fall for his 'I'm hot so that means I'm not a douche' trick.

"Aww cheer up! If you don't score with Luke there is always the hall monitor." Marren said winking and pinching my cheek.

Just a few more classes and two hours of hell. Then I can go home. Please God make it go fast!

Actress for Peyton is off to the side (Actress: Alona Tal) >>