55| Win Some, Lose More

Start from the beginning

"It was just that, Brandy, a mistake. We're good. Now what's the real reason you're so nervous and scared of 'stepping on toes'?"

"That obvious?" I nodded. "Aside from what could possibly happen tonight, depending on the results of the show... nothing."

"And just what could happen?"

Before she could speak, Leann made her way down the opposite end of the row and took her seat, dryly apologizing for being late. Brandy stated that she would tell me later and we all looked forward as the lights around us began to dim.

As the night wore on, we sat comfortably, enjoying different performances and the presenters as they made jokes. Some funny, some corny, and some just plain terrible. Then, it came down to the first category I'd been nominated for. As Marliss told me, I was up for three before gaining two more nominations, all as a solo artist. And then, there were the three nominations with Fly Girl.

I still wasn't sure how fair that could have been, but I was no longer going to fight it or feel bad about it either.

Oddly, for the first category, I was up against Ava with her duet. We both lost. And then, the second category I was up against my own group. It was awkward, to say the least, but at least I had a fifty-fifty shot this go 'round.

Everyone in the auditorium sat quietly as the presenters made a few jokes before they went on to name us, the artists, while playing clips of our songs. "And, Hot 100 R&B Single of the Year goes to..." They fumbled a little, giggling before they yelled out. "Troy Mercier, Slow Down, released in April on the Sony label."

I covered my mouth, in genuine shock as thunderous applause surrounded me. Before I could even think of what to do, I felt myself being pulled up, gently by Marliss. I gave both him and Torii hugs before he escorted me up to the stage. On the way, I quickly stopped for hugs from my peers, artists I liked and loved, before finally making it up to the podium. Accepting my award, I tucked one of my loose curls behind my ears and exhaled.

"Um, please forgive me if this takes a bit of time. Some of my motor skills aren't the best tonight." I chose to speak slowly so that I wouldn't stumble over or slur my words. That was one symptom I tried my hardest to control, even in my worst moments. I wanted and needed to be understood at all times. "First, this is totally unexpected because who can expect to win when you're up against the great Toni Braxton." I looked out into the audience and she blew me a kiss. "It's also a small shock because I hadn't planned on putting out Slow Down as anything other than a test for myself, to prove that I could do something different. For those who believed in me enough to push it out there, even without telling me, I want to say thank you so much. God, my family; most importantly my big sister, I can't give enough thanks for the strength they all give me to push forward. Not many know what I go through daily, and in being close to them, it's a lot easier to believe that I have a lot more to give and do with this talent of mine. Lastly; to Ms. Karyn White who allowed me to remake her song, and the amazing Tariq Knight who produced this rendition... it literally would not have come to fruition without them. The amazing fans, all of my peers and idols, thank you and I love you all."

As they all applauded, I took Marliss' hand and followed him backstage, hoping it wouldn't take us long to make it back to our seats.

Another succession of performances and award presentations came before mine, Ava's or the name Fly Girl came up again. To my relief, she won in one of the Latin categories for her duet with Carlos Santana. It was nice to see her in the spotlight, by herself, for something she did and accomplished. I only hoped it would show her that she was more than capable of everything she doubted.