48| Brandy's Pleas

Ava –

Stumbling down the hallway and towards my front door, I tried my best to pull myself together. Opening the door, I came face to face with the last person I wanted to see me this way.

Eyes bloodshot red, hair disheveled and all over my head. Bags under my eyes, stress and signs of heartbreak written all over my face. I could only pray that it wouldn't be obvious that I hadn't eaten much more than a slice of bread in weeks.

Pulling my robe closed, wrapping my arms around my waist, I sighed and spoke as loudly as my mind would allow me to. "What do you need, Brandy?"

Placing her hands at her hips, she shook her head. Looking at me the exact way I imagined my mother would if she ever felt a genuine and necessary amount of disappointment or displeasure with me or my actions.

"To see what's going on with you, I've been worried. Y'all know how anxious and scared I get when I don't hear from you. Between you and Leann with the drinking and drugs, I never know what I'll hear or find if I ever have to get someone to break your doors down." As if she really cared. "And what's going on with your physical appearance? You look so gaunt in the face, and around your eyes looks hollow. Your eyes look empty. How much weight have you lost? Have you been eating, why haven't you called me to come and cook for you?" I shrugged, ignoring all of her questions. "Why can't anyone reach you?"

"Because I don't want to be reached." I turned around, leaving the door open for her to decide if she wanted to come in or not. Though I hoped she wouldn't, I heard the door close and when I looked over my shoulder, Brandy was following behind me. Walking into my living room, I took a seat on my couch. Folding my legs beneath me, I rested my elbow on the arm of the couch and my face against my hand. "It's not like anyone really cares about what's going on with me. It's Fly Girl this. And have you apologized every hour on the hour today?"

"Between you and Troy..."

"Don't say her name, not around me."

Taking a seat in front of me, on my coffee table, Brandy rolled her eyes before pressing forward with the conversation. "Between the two of you, anything with Fly Girl is up in the air. I've got choice words for her too."

"Whatever. I already know you're only hear to place more blame on me. As if y'all don't bully me enough. Damage control; I get tired of saying that I'm not the only one that needs to be on this stupid ass tour of the press and media."

"You're always upset about having to continue with the damage control, but you fail to realize how far your foolishness reached."

"It wasn't just me, so maybe you should start sending the others out to clean their mess up."

"Their mess didn't land in the lap of Wendy Williams or any of those other DJ's that love ripping artists apart for ratings. None of their foolishness got the four of you banned from performing in the country where you've had some of your biggest success!" I rolled my eyes, asking her to refrain from yelling at me. "Ava, eventually you're going to have to pull up your big girl panties, accept your 'punishment', and move forward. You want everyone to feel sorry for you, to throw you some type of pity party, or to look at you as if you're the one that's been hurt..."

"I have."

"Outside of your personal life. This is business that I'm talking."

I looked away, shaking my head. "See, this is just what I'm talking about. You're always coming down on me! When have you ever hopped on Leann's case?"