38| The Stubborn, The Protector, The Drunk, & The Sorry.

Troy –

I reached into my backpack and pulled out my Walkman, handing it to Marliss as he mugged me. "I don't even know what I was listening to last, so I'm sorry in advance."

He sighed. "I don't care about this Troy. I don't even want to listen to music right now."

"Then what do you want?"

He looked at me as if I'd asked the dumbest question in the world. "You already know I'd feel better if I were in there with you, so that I could know what's going on, how to help you if something's wrong."

I groaned. "It's a routine checkup, Marliss. It's just to see how I've been doing with those meds they gave me. To see if I can finally get back to being myself. I'm so tired of taking things easy, and being careful. I can't even dance like I want to."

"If it were routine, there wouldn't have been a hint of distress in the doctor's voice on the message that was left. If it were routine, they would have told you what you needed to know over the phone. They never tell you bad news over the phone."

I shook my head. It is a proven fact that I hate when Marliss slips into his over-protective mode, and though for good reason... he knows I hate it too. If he and I do happen to have little fights, it's usually because he's sitting or standing around me, acting like I'm fragile and will break apart with the slightest bit of movement. It only got worse when I began asking him to drive me anytime I had to take the medication I was being given. Never mind that it was simply because the medicine made me drowsy and I didn't want to risk falling asleep behind the wheel.

He took every bit of information, about my health, to the extreme, and it drove me crazy.

"Boy... if you don't shut up, I will dump you right here, and right now."

Marliss folded his arms across his chest and slouched down in his seat. "Could you just try to understand why I worry about you the way that I do? You've passed out on stage once, passed out on me twice, and once you couldn't move any part of your body. Whatever is going on with you, Baby, it's not something routine or simple. And instead of you hiding it from everybody..."

"I'm not hiding anything, Tariq."

He looked at me and I sighed, dropping my head. "Yes you are, and I know you are because you got mad just that quickly. You only call me by my middle name when you're mad or annoyed."

"I'm not hiding anything from anybody. Everything the doctor tells me, every restriction; I run it back to you, Brandy, Chauncey, my daddy and everybody else that likes to be in my damn business."

"Nah, it's more to it, and I know it. You mean to tell me that in four months, since the first incident, they haven't figured out what's going on with you?"

"It's just stress and overworking myself."

"That's what you're saying. But what are your doctors saying?" He shook his head, putting an end to anything I wanted. "Don't worry about it, I'm going in there with you and I'm going to find out myself."

"I don't want you in there with me. I don't even want you here right now."

Marliss shrugged his shoulders, giving me the stalest look ever. "That's too damn bad."

I looked at him, rolling my eyes as I crossed one leg over the other.

When I was finally called into the examination room, I walked a few steps ahead of Marliss. As I took a seat on the table, I cleared my throat and looked at my doctor after we spoke and all of the formalities were out of the way. "Excuse me, can I request that you send my boyfriend out of the room."