36| Small Cracks In Perfection

Troy -

Standing next to my sister, Raymond, and Marliss; I gave a few smiles and waved as professional photographers and a few of the overzealous paparazzi we'd come to know and tolerate called out our names.

Though it was something he preferred not to make a huge fuss over; Chauncey and the label decided to throw Marliss a huge celebration. Not only for his nineteenth birthday, but for the release of his debut solo album as well. They felt the huge hype would boost the sales, and Brandy suggested making it a black-tie type of affair since he'd adopted a more sophisticated type of style and image lately.

"This way, please!" We politely looked in the directions we were called in, smiling and waving before Chauncey came and saved us. He always had this great sense of when the questions were about to begin, and since we all wanted to keep the focus on Marliss, we decided that we would answer no personal questions, no questions about the group or anything that didn't have to do with him or his album.

Chauncey walked alongside the four of us, speaking lowly, but still loud enough for us to hear and answer him. "Now you all remember what I said, right? I guess I have to get it in my mind that I can't control y'all, can't tell you who to see and all that. But remember that tonight, and the next month or so for that matter is not the time for you to discuss relationships. Let them continue speculating, let the rumors go. If y'all wanna come out night of the Grammys or any point after, that's fine. But limit what you say to these reporters, and most definitely skip over the who's dating who questions." We nodded. "Marliss; I just want to say that I'm proud of you. I know that I can take my hard approach with you because you use that to push yourself, along with being an over the top perfectionist." Marliss smiled, dimples flashing. "I've heard the final product, and though I agreed with others that solo might not have been right for you yet... I-" He paused, twisting at his tie as if it was too tight against his neck before he spoke again. Barely above a whisper. "I was wrong. There, I said it, bye."

The four of us fell out, laughing as Chauncey stomped away. I still don't understand why it's hard for him to admit when he's wrong, or why he feels he can't listen to someone else or take their thoughts and opinions into consideration but I guess that's just him. I can say that, for the most part, he's laid off with how roughly he speaks to us, the girls, and I forced myself to understand that there will always be a love-hate relationship with him.

I'd forever be grateful for where he's gotten and taken us, but I'll forever hate his approach and how he chooses to handle things.

As we walked into the ballroom of a Hilton Hotel that MCA rented out, Torii and I decided to head straight to our seats. After checking to make sure I wouldn't trip over the bottom of my dress if I stood or tried to walk away from the table, I thanked Marliss for pushing my seat in, smiling when he kneeled down in front of me.

"You better get backstage before they start looking for you. It is your party, Sir."

He looked around briefly, nodding a little. Usually, Marliss would be all smiles, laughing and bouncing around as he took in all the compliments. But something was off. "Yeah, I know."

"Are you nervous? Scared?"

Looking into my eyes, his own told the complete truth. He still wasn't used to being alone and having any type of spotlight focused solely on him. "A little of both. On one hand, I know I've got something good. I have a great feeling about the whole project."