43| Damage Control (Part 1)

Torii -

Since we still had contractual obligations, and had pretty much taken one hiatus too many, we had to work through our personal issues like women and handle business. One thing I was not for, issues or no issues; no one was going to mess up guaranteed money for me. And no one was going to cause me to pay back money for cancelling a job at the last minute.

Whatever Leann and Ava were feeling, they'd just have to suck it up and get over themselves. My sister and I told the truth countless times, had a full sit down with MCA, and they were told to their faces that there had been no talks or signing of any contract. It's up to them, now, to take the information however they want it.

The main question I was being asked, personally, was if I was tired of the group. My response; I was tired of singing, period. But, as long as our fans, or anyone who enjoyed music from Fly Girl, asked for us, I was going to honor each and every contract and deal brought our way as a group.

Spending our weekend in Philadelphia, my sister and I were contacted, along with Raymond and Marliss, to perform in a tribute to some of the Philly kings and divas. Mainly, the artists of Philly International. The boys, along with two other guys, would be performing hits by The O'Jays and Teddy Pendergrass, while my sister and I would join one other girl to sing hits by The Degrees. Though Fly Girl as a whole had shows of our own, this gave Troy and I the chance to step away and get a breather from all of the bad vibes everybody else was bringing.

After getting dressed in these beautiful, form fitting, sequined gowns that flowed to the floor; we stepped on stage to a thunderous applause and I felt as if I were actually someone important. And, though I was self-conscious about the way my dressed looked on me; the turquoise against my brown skin tone, the deep cut that gave a glorious view of my breasts, without showing every bit of them, and the way the dress itself was cut and designed to show my stomach and back... with just a little strip of material connecting the top half to the bottom. Not to mention, the bottom of the dress sitting perfectly atop my behind, that decided it would sit extra high tonight; I didn't feel as trashy as I thought I would. Hell, if they could wear these types of gowns and get away with them in the 70s, why can't they work in the 90s? Even if I am a little thicker than the dress designer thought.

Troy, the other young lady, Tabitha, and I stepped forward, smiling and waving at the Philadelphia crowd before the band behind us began to play. Troy wanted to go first, to get her part out of the way since hers was short. I was a little jealous, because she got to do one of their fun and high energy songs. A hilarious song, but so relevant to us, even in this day and age. And, with the particular rumors surrounding us, her and Chauncey in particular, I knew she'd been waiting for a chance to blast him without actually saying his name in the media.

Doing the opening harmonies, we began the routine we'd learned before stepping back to the microphone, singing in unison. To my surprise, a total contrast from what went on in rehearsals, the three of us sounded great together. As close to the original as anyone could dream of getting. "You're a dirty old man. You can't keep your hands to yourself. You're a dirty old man. Go mess around with somebody else."

Troy stepped forward, smiling as she put her hands on her hips, singing the first verse. "Now I done told you, you can look but please don't touch. 'Cause you don't understand what I mean; can't you see I'm not old enough?"

Tabitha and I came in behind her, singing along for one line. "You say that age ain't nothing but a number... number!"

"You're much too experienced for me. Oooo..."