26| Home For The Holidays (Part 2)

Leann –

I was walking down Bourbon Street, wishing that I was old enough to stop off in one of the bars for a drink. I'd only been home on my break for two days, and things were entirely too stressful for my liking.

While I was fully prepared to come and chill with KC and Jay for the two weeks that I had off from all things Fly Girl, I came home to find that my father had suddenly started getting himself together, and now he was looking around for both of his kids.

Of course, seeing me on TV and hearing about me from his friends that got a kick out of watching four teenage girls 'gyrate' in music videos, had kicked off his interest. Made him remember that he had kids in the first place. He'd found me, made it a point to track me down at my old job, but I had yet to tell him where KC was. I already knew the game plan he probably had in mind.

Either I come home, or send money home and everything is all good. I could keep KC with Jay and there'd be no issues. Or, I continue ignoring his bum behind, and he could get a custody case going; one that he'd certainly win since I'm still a teen with no place of my own, and constantly on the road with a large group of people. Even for an alcoholic and druggie; they'd give him the better end of the deal. Or, the worst case scenario... they'd take KC from the both of us and I didn't want that either.

I was at a complete crossroads, but I knew for certain that I did not want to be taken advantage of either, not by someone who'd never given two shits about me before he found out I was actually doing something with my life, bringing great success and fame to the Comeaux name again. I just wanted to step away and take a breather, get a little time for myself before I dove back into dealing with his bull.

"Well looky-here." I turned to see a small group of former friends, Erika included. "If I was a big time star; you wouldn't catch me back in New Orleans, unless I was coming down here to perform. And even then, I'd hop on the first plane out as soon as I was done."

I rolled my eyes, stopping in my tracks as I waited for the three of them to catch up with me. "Even though circumstances of how I grew up here are bad, that don't mean I don't still have love for my city. I'm always gon' be a 504 chick."

"Girl, please, first chance I get to claim another city or state, I'm on it. Anyway, Leann, I almost didn't believe Erika when she said you were off living that lavish life now. But then I saw you and your girls' videos; you doing real big things."

I nodded, giving one of those brotherly type of hugs to my former friend Arianna and her sister Brianna. They were twins, and both sickening as hell, but back in elementary school, you couldn't tell me that they weren't the best influences. "I'm trying. You know, if I do something, it's gotta be something that's gon' help me take care of my brother."

"I feel you on that. Anyway, my sister and I are going to go. Erika, we'll catch up with you later."

Erika nodded before turning to me as she asked if I minded her walking with me. I just shrugged, unsure of what the purpose of us walking together would be. Either way, it was a free country, and I didn't own the city or it's sidewalks so she could do as she pleased.

"So what happened that you're back in the N.O.?"

"Holiday break. We worked last year so they wanted to make sure we all got home to our families. You know me, couldn't miss a chance to see KC."

She nodded, smiling before she admitted that she admired what I was doing all of this for. "Yeah, that's really good though. You know how it is for most of the people that we know and came up with. If they get the chance to leave, they forget about everything and everybody down here."