39| Big Wins & A Low Down Snake

February 1998 :

Leann -

Giving a tiny smile as we stood in front of a group of reporters, I chose to stay quiet as Troy and Torii answered all of the questions coming our way. It was Grammy night, and there was no doubt that with recent incidents, all eyes were on us, looking for anything to report on negatively.

I was in no mood to talk, really no mood to be out and around people; but this was my job, and I would do my usual role of standing around and smiling for as long as possible.

"It's very obvious and easy to see that there's a huge difference in your appearance and how you guys showed up on the red carpet last year. Not just with your choice of clothing; which, you all look amazing by the way. I've always loved women that could pull off what might be considered a man's look. Torii and Troy, I'm most definitely loving that you're showing your curves and an appropriate amount up top. Very classy." We all nodded, out of habit and thanked the reporter speaking. Though I'd chosen to wear a men's suit, Troy and Torii both thought the style was a great idea. Seeing as they both wanted to be comfortable, while still being more feminine than I liked to look, they went with these gorgeous black pantsuits that were tailored to fit their bodies perfectly. It certainly shut up whoever was out there saying we were all built like pre-teen boys. "But, this time last year there were four of you, now only three. Amidst rumors, it's only right that I ask if there have been changes within your group's personnel?"

Troy stepped forward, shaking her head as she pushed strands of her hair behind her ear. "Not at all, and I honestly wish that people speculating would stop going to that as being the only reason one of us might not be here. Unfortunately, Ava is not with us, as personal events have not permitted her to attend. There are still four of us and when all is well, she will return. She's still with us in spirit, we're celebrating and enjoying the night for her as well."

The woman nodded, looking as if she were agitated by receiving what some may perceive as a politically correct answer. Then, she looked in my direction. "And what are your predictions for the night, Leann, as far as Fly Girl goes? How many Gramophones do you believe you girls will be taking home?"

I focused, giving a slightly bigger smile. "If it were up to my little brother and our amazing fans, no doubt we'd be bringing home all five. But, I'll be modest and say that I'm hoping we get at least one."

"And should there be big wins for you tonight, does this mean will see another major boost in all things Fly Girl? Appearances, another album, endorsements, and things of that nature?"

Again, she looked in my direction so I answered, trying to hide my slight irritation. "That's what we're hoping for. Well, the album is a for sure thing, but we definitely hope for more opportunities with wonderful companies and people. We've been fortunate enough to have great memorabilia and merchandise, along with clothing lines, and so many other things that our fans and supporters have taken to... we hope to bring them lots more."

"Great, and as always, it is lovely to see the beautiful young women of Fly Girl. You young ladies are more than deserving of every accolade and nomination you've earned thus far, and the many more that are to come in the future. Congrats, and enjoy the night."

We thanked her and smiled for a few more pictures before going on our way.

Just as they had last year, they had us all sitting in the same section. Since Brandy chose to fly to Arizona to be at Ava's side, we got stuck with The Scrooge. Chauncey held his usual mug on his face; only, after yelling at me in the limo during the ride to the ceremony, I'm certain it'll stay plastered across his face whether we win anything or not. "Leann."