35

Gabriel's POV

Cut off her wings?

She doesn't need to prove herself to anybody when she hasn't done any harm and has no intent to.

She shouldn't have to cut off the limbs that make her what she is to prove herself as a worthy queen. It's like pulling out a vampire's fangs: painful, humiliating, and demoralizing. She wouldn't be able to survive that.

There's no way I'm letting her do this. She's hurting herself more than she is helping.

"No." I barked out loud. There is no way I am letting her endure such pain.

"She will not be cutting off her wings." Anger seeped through my words.

The people were being selfish to think that she would cut off her limbs to please her.

"See that! How can she be our queen? She can't even do this for us!" A furious-looking man amongst the crowd seethed.

That son of a bitch.

People in the crowd cheered in agreement.

I turned to Adeline. I need to get her out of here before she does something too rash. She was thinking, quietly, unaffected by the crowd.

You could tell; she was going to agree with them.

She opened her mouth to say something, but it was too late. Before I could stop her, she said the words I dreaded coming out of her mouth.

"I will do it."

*~~*~~*
Adeline's POV

The words tumbled out of my mouth before I could change my mind.

"I will do it."

The crowd erupted in a short cheer.

What did I just sign myself up for?

They would kill me if I didn't. I mean that's what they came here to do. They all wanted murder me rather than have me as their queen. But, If I die, my babies die, and I couldn't let them do that to my babies. So, I need to do this for my babies.

If this is what I need to do to prove worthy and stay alive, then I would do it. It was my only option; I need to stay safe and alive for my children.

I have lived the majority of my life not knowing my capacity and the fact that I was an angel. I've lived my life without wings and I could continue my life the same way. It wouldn't be any different from the way things were before. If I've done it before, I could do it now.

Except, it would be the equivalent to severing a limb. My wings counted as limbs. The pain would consume me to the point that everything will go numb. I'll lose blood. I'll handle it if it means saving my babies.

Since I'm pregnant, my healing is fast enough so that I can recover without losing too much blood.

The babies won't get harmed; I'll heal in at least two minutes. I could do this. It will hurt like hell, but it's the best option.

I can do this.

"Adeline, no. What are you thinking?" Gabriel said trying to get me to back out of my decision. There was no way he was going to let me do this. I ignored him.

But, I have to do this.

I took a deep breath in, imagining my wings slowly unfolding. I could feel them expanding as they appeared between my shoulders, on my back. I gasped in relief as I stretched my wings in the air. They've been coiled up for so long, and now, it felt free and refreshing. I could feel the soft, white feathers, swaying in the breeze.

I knew my wings were there because the look on people's faces told me so. Their eyes were wide as they stared at my back with a look of wonder and amazement. People gasped, not diverting their attention from the large, white wings, sprouting out of my back.

I could sense that my pupils morphed, changing into another vivid color.

I turned my attention back to the crowd. The man who suggested the idea stepped out of the crowd with a large sword.

"Come." He said, with a devilish grin on his face. It made me feel sick.

"Adeline!" Gabriel said, putting an arm on my shoulder to hold me back.

"I'm ready." I said, brushing Gabriel's hand off my shoulder.

"Adeline, don't you dare take another step. You don't have to do this." Gabriel voiced out a low warning.

I ignored him, taking another step forward, in the soft grass that will soon be stained in my blood.

Gabriel began to run towards me.

"Hold him back." I said, directing my command towards the people.

The people followed my orders, wrapping their arms around Gabriel's feet, arms, and body. He struggled violently against the hold of the many people holding him down. It wouldn't last long; he would break free sooner or later. It had to be quick. Now or never.

"Adeline, I will never forgive you for this!" Gabriel yelled, lowly, trying to break out.

I took a deep breath, ignoring his words.

I grew closer to the man and then kneeled on my knees. The man came up behind me with a sword.

The crowd was watching intently. No one thought that I would actually do it.

The man raised the sword in the air, preparing to lower it onto my wings. He began to count down from three.

"3."

"2."

"1."

I braced myself for the pain, but it never came. There was no pain.

I turned around, confused. Did he not lower the sword?

I gasped in horror at the sight behind me.

Gabriel was kneeling behind me, encasing me with his body. But, that's not what made me want to puke.

The sword. The sword was going through Gabriel's chest.

•Sorry it took me forever to update. Like I mentioned before, I'm going through my story and editing parts of it to make it better. I also have a lot of homework that I'm trying to do, but just because it's summer break, the teachers don't let you off. I also have to go to work because I have summer volunteering job, so my schedule is a bit tight. I also have people coming over this week, so don't expect an update until somewhere around the beginning of August. I'm trying my best to update because I don't want to let you guys down. I don't want to be like those annoying authors who update once every six months.

Well, I guess the next chapter will be intense. Who's excited for it? Don't forget to VOTE and COMMENT!

What the hell just happened?•

Don't worry; this isn't the end.