4

Adeline's POV

My sea green eyes widened with panic as I stared down at the crimson liquid. My gut twisted in horror. It was everywhere. Everywhere I looked, there was blood.

Scratches coated my body, decorating my skin as if they were elegant designs, and there was a giant gash which adorned the base of my collar bone. I had to hide. they were coming for me.

I stared in horror at my Father's lifeless body. I couldn't cry. The knife was piercing through his heart, sticking out at me. I clutched the teddy bear father gave to me closer to my body. Blood coated its soft brown fur.

I heard footsteps approaching and quickly ran in the opposite direction, trying to get away. They were after me.

One Hour Earlier
Night of the Ball

She wrapped her fingers around my arms as she dragged me out my room.

"Mary, do I really have to do this?"

She pulled me down the twisting hallway, before stopping in front of a large door.

"Yes, your father insists he must introduce you to the world as his daughter."

"I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd rather be in the cottage right now," I said feeling sick to my stomach.

Mary arrived at the estate a couple hours ago. She promised not to miss my birthday.

"It will be over soon," she glanced at the guards in front of the door, "I have to go, I'll meet you in the ballroom," Mary whispered. She pulled me into a hug, "Oh my sweet angel is so big now."

"Miss," the guard warned.

"Okay, I'm leaving," Mary said, turning and exiting the corridor.

As I turned back around to face the doors, they opened. I slowly made my way out onto two winding staircases that joined at the top.

My eyes widened in panic when the crowd turned their attention to me. I shrunk back into the shadows and carefully eyed the crowd. I did not feel too good right now. The eyes of all the people frightened me, and fear welled up in my gut. I gripped at the simple red sleeveless dress. It was sleek and satin, but that's what made it so captivating.

I spotted father and Willie in the middle of the ballroom. Father smiled before motioning me to come to him. I shrunk back into the hallway, scared to go outside.

Of course, when the ball was being thrown for my birthday, people would stare at me. Obviously the staring would increase if no one has ever seen me in the eighteen years I've been alive, but only heard of me.

I couldn't walk down those steps alone. Not when everyone was staring at me. I've never been in a room with more than five people. To think I would be in front hundreds made my stomach twist in fear.

I wasn't going to walk out there, and I began panicking. They weren't going to make me do it were they? I began hyperventilating as the guards started to urge me out.

I was pushed out onto the steps, alone, with nobody at my side. I glanced around the ballroom, nervously biting my lip, not sure what to do next. My eyes found my father's reassuring smile, urging me to come down the steps towards him.

I took a deep breath, scanning the ballroom and then turning my gaze to my father. This is easy. Just ignore everyone else and look straight at Father. I took shaky steps down the stairs, holding onto the railing as tightly as I could, letting out all my nervousness.

I was hardly concentrating on walking down the stairs and I was more focused on my fear of being the center of attention. With my mind elsewhere, I accidentally stepped on my dress. I could feel the gentle tug on my dress, causing me to lose my balance on the edge of the step.

Everything around seemed to go slowly as the beautiful, marble steps neared my face. I was falling. Oh no, this is exactly one of the reasons I didn't want to walk down the stairs while I was the center of attention. I closed my eyes tightly, bracing myself for the impact.

But, I never managed to hit the ground. Wrapped around me were two bulky arms, keeping me from making impact with the ground. As my heavy breathing slowed down, I looked up to see who my hero is.

It was the prince. I stared into his deep, sea-blue eyes with my lips slightly parted. I stopped gaping at him and snapped my self out of it as he helped me up.

Standing up again, I looked towards the prince who was dangerously close to my face. He leaned in making the distance between us smaller. His lips went to my ear, and he huskily whispered, "Watch your step." before leading me down the rest of the steps.

The prince led to me to my waiting father before disappearing into the crowd.

"Happy birthday, dear." My father said, pulling me into an embrace.

I slipped into a table so I was seated beside my Father. The ballroom was lively and people were chattering about. It was decorated with accents of gold and luxurious items. People of power, nobles, and many important figures were in the room.

My father glanced at me, and a smile appeared on his face.

"I've got something for you." He said reaching behind to grab a brown teddy bear.

"Father, you know I'm still not five."

He laughed and handed it to me, "You'll always be my little girl." I gently grabbed it before hugging it close to my body.

"Thank you, Father."

I had a whole collection in the cottage. I guess it wouldn't hurt to add one more to the pile.

"Care to dance, milady?" I heard a low voice whisper from behind me. A man, who seemed friendly held out his arm for me to take.

"Of course." I said, taking the man's arm and handing the teddy bear back to my father.

He lead us out into the center of the ballroom, and slowly lead the dance. He stared at me calculatingly with a glint in his eyes.

The man had his hands uncomfortably low on my hips, as he gripped them tightly and pulled me closer to him. Immediately I regretted accepting his offer to dance.

"Milady, I never expected you to be this beautiful. It's an honor to dance with you. I have a title, and I'm looking to wed." He whispered, trailing a finger along my chin. His other arm snaked dangerously low on my back. I was disgusted and absolutely repulsed.

"Please stop." I whispered.

Abruptly, a panicked scream filled the ballroom. I pinpointed the area where the scream came from. There were invaders. Their leader held a knife above a lady's heart, threatening to kill her if he didn't get what he wanted.

"Where is she?" I heard a tall man with dark hair yell. He seemed muscular and utterly frightening. He's dangerous my mind instantly registered.

I could see my father tense across the room.

"Addie run." He yelled.

I told you all the ball would be intense, although her mate is giving her the cold shoulder. I'm sorry I left you guys at a mini cliff hanger! Ew, the guy trying to dance with Addie though...Don't forget to VOTE and COMMENT!

Why do you think someone would want to crash Addie's birthday ball?•