3

Adeline's POV

2 days later; Adeline's Eighteenth Birthday

The fresh, saccharine smell and abundance of colors surrounded me. Drawn to the garden in the back of the estate, I had come out here to spend some time. It reminded me of the beautiful countryside fields I had left just a few days back. I missed Mary. We both had built our own garden in the back of the cottage, and I would tend to the garden in my free time. Breathing in the air in the garden behind the estate, I felt at home. I would be seeing Mary later today. 

She would be coming today to attend my birthday ball which father had organized later today. Somehow he deemed that it would be safe to introduce me to the Vampire world. My birthday ball obviously wasn't only for the sole purpose of honoring my birthday, it was also a political meeting where the vampire court could discuss among each other. Of course, my father didn't tell me that, but it was painstakingly obvious. He had the King and the entire vampire court coming to our estate tonight. I didn't even want to celebrate my birthday because I didn't know anyone.

I was currently collecting some flowers to decorate the inside of my new room. I reached out to pick one strikingly beautiful flower. It's purple petals curled around to form a rose. A sharp prick was felt in my hands as I backed away from the flower. My blood rolled off my finger and onto the unique petals. I was foolish to touch the rose, but it's beauty had pulled me in.

I halted in front of a water fountain with and a handful of flowers clutched in my palm. I was overwhelmed by the beauty of the new world, seeing everything with the same fascination as a child.

I reached out my hand to touch the water cascading from the fountain. Before my hand could make contact with water, a hand made its way around my mouth, pulling me into someone's chest. Squeals left my mouth as I was pulled into darkness.

"Hide!" A man whisper yelled from behind me. He removed his hands from my mouth, and shrunk away into a bush.

A confused look was etched across my face, but I did as I was told. I hid under a ledge of the water fountain, and then I saw a woman trailing through the garden yelling at someone. I assumed she was yelling at the man who told me to hide.

I rolled out from under the fountain, and a frown etched onto my face.

"Why did you tell me to hide?" I looked at the bush waiting for a reply.

The tall man crawled out from the bush, and he pulled out a few twigs from his hair. 

"She was mad at me for screwing up her petunias," he paused glancing at the flowers in my hands, "She certainly would have lashed out on you." He pulled out a leaf from his hair and tossed it on the ground.

"Who are you?" I said, narrowing my eyes at the man in front of me.

"You don't know me?" He asked with shock on his face. He arched up one of his thick eyebrows and looked at me expectantly. Noticing my puzzled face, he smiled instead, shaking his head.

"I'm Eli, the crown prince's right-hand-man and the Lord of the East," he bent down towards my hair and plucked out a leaf, "I'm just visiting the manor." He sent me a devilishly handsome smile and his blue eyes twinkled in the sunlight. 

I blinked, studying him carefully. He was tall, well-built and had curly, auburn hair which decorated his head like a crown.

"Checking me out aren't we?"

I scowled, glaring at him.

He chuckled, "What's your name?"

"Adeline." I replied, eyeing him curiously.

"Well, Adeline, you should probably get off the ground," he said, stretching out his hand for me to take.

I clutched the flowers I picked tightly and accepted his hand, allowing him to help me off the ground.

Lord Eli looked at the flowers, "What are those for? I bet you if Martha saw them she would freak—"

"You!" I heard the lady from earlier cry out as she stormed towards him.

She grabbed him by his ear and began tugging at him.

"What are you doing in my garden? It took me days to plant those!" The lady ranted.

Lord Eli looked as if he was struggling as the lady tugged at his ear harder. His face was red with embarrassment.

I burst out laughing, and that resulted in both of them turning their gazes towards me. I kept on laughing ignoring their gazes.

"Is that Lady Ambrose?" The woman questioned to herself, letting go of Lord Eli's ear, as she studied me.

I pushed the flowers out to her, "I'm sorry I took your flowers. I just thought I would decorate my room with them. They are really pretty."

"It's fine, dear. You can come here anytime for the flowers." The lady responded.

"Oh, so she get's to do it?" Lord Eli asked turning to glare at the lady.

"Get out of my garden!" She yelled at him, waving a stick in the air.

"Come on my lady! Let's go before her blood pressure rises too much. The poor thing might have a heart attack." Lord Eli said leading me off.

"You rascal!" The woman angrily yelled after us. 

"Ahh, she's an old friend," Lord Eli chuckled as we lead me out of the garden. "So, Lady Ambrose. I assume you arrived just earlier today. I never knew that old man had a daughter."

A dry laugh escaped my lips.

I watched the tall, handsome lord talk his mouth off as he lead me back towards the estate, and into the building.

Just then, Father appeared in the hallway. There was a tall, well-built man with broad shoulders to his left.

On the other side of my father was an shorter man who appeared to be in his mid-forties.

"Adeline, dear, you've arrived at the perfect timing." My father said, reaching out to me.

I stepped closer to my father, intimidated by the strangers. I wasn't comfortable around any new people. It was much more than I was used to. 

"Adeline, meet King Ulric." He pointed to the man who appeared to be in his mid-forties. I instantly recognized the name as the King of Vampires. The King, however, was getting very weak according to my father. Apparently, he was getting ready to hand things off to his son, the crown prince, in the near future. However, his son had already been running most of the kingdom for years now. I bowed my head slightly out of respect.

My eyes darted to the younger man with soft, brown hair which was styled back messily. He towered over both the King and my father. His whole aura radiated power, and there was something about him which demanded respect. He had a strong build, a well defined jaw, and cerulean blue eyes. He looked up making direct eye contact with me. I gasped in recognition, it was the man from the castle.

"And this is Crown Prince Gabriel."

• Things are sorta starting to get a bit more interesting, so I suggest to keep reading! Let me tell you a secret, the birthday ball gets pretty intense. Well, if you're not interested already, I suggest reading at least a few more chapters. I promise you'll like it! Don't forget to VOTE and COMMENT!

Any theories on what happens next?•