2

Adeline's POV

Present Day

Mary's arms enveloped me in a tight, warm, and loving embrace. My head was shoved into her shoulder while she buried herself in my neck. I chuckled awkwardly because it was getting kind of hard to breathe under her vice-like grip. I hesitantly reached towards Mary's shoulder and patted it.

"It's okay Mary," I wheezed out, "You can let go now."

I applied a little force in a failed attempt to peel her off of me, but it didn't really work. Mary may look small, but I wouldn't underestimate her. She has a lot of strength for just a small woman.

"Just one more minute." Mary hushed me.

"Okay." I replied, awkwardly standing in the prolonged embrace.

It was absolutely quiet except for the tiny sniffles coming out of Mary.

"Oh, Mary," I said, softly, wrapping my arms around her in a comforting manner.

I probably wasn't going to see her as often anymore because today is the day I get to leave the cottage.

"Mary, it's not like you're never going to see me again," I said stroking her back gently.

Mary sighed, finally releasing me from the hug. I took a deep, relieved breath.

"What if I really don't see you again, angel? You know, after today, there is no reason for me to stick around and take care of you." Mary sobbed, tears streaming down her face as she delicately cupped my face in her gentle hands.

I sighed, pulling Mary back into an embrace, "Mary, just because you're not going to take care of me from now on does not mean I do not need you. It's not that easy for me to forget you. You've got no reason to worry, you'll be around father's estate anyways."

Mary nodded, with a sniffle.

"Remember, you always have my protection. If you need me, don't forget to call." Mary smiled.

Reaching into the black velvet pouch she has been holding, she pulled out a small necklace. The pendant had unique carvings. I've seen Mary working on this for the past few days. She is a witch, but her coven was slaughtered right before she was assigned to be my caretaker. She had casted enchantments on our cottage to keep it hidden, and is the reason why we've been safe for so long.

"Keep this with you; it will protect you. I've casted some enchantments on it." She brushed her fingers along the carvings she made into it.

Mary helped me put the necklace on. As soon as the pendant made contact with the bare skin on my chest, it softly glowed green before fading away.

The faint sound of a car door opening from outside the cottage signaled to me that it was time. Undoing my arms from around Mary, my eyes travelled towards the window, which faced the vast, grassy fields of isolation. I watched father step out of the car and make his way towards the door.

"He's here," Mary said, moving towards the door.

Mary opened the door allowing my Father to step into the cottage.

"Father," I exclaimed, giving him a small hug.

"Are you ready, darling?" he asked. He looked worried. Troubled to be exact. He wasn't sure about allowing me to leave the countryside. It has kept me safe until now. From what I do not know. But, Father had this belief that there were people in the real world who would try to hurt me.

I nodded in response. Father grabbed my bags, heading outside to put them in the car. Of course, I've been outside before, but I was never allowed beyond the vicinity of the cottage. The beautiful countryside isolated from the city was all I've ever known. I had no clue what the real world, the one bustling with a variety people, looked like. William had told me many stories, and I've always been envious that he got to see things I couldn't. My older brother had the freedom I've always desired.