Chapter fifteen

—————-
Picture of Joshua
——————
Enjoy! Also this is a trash chapter btw, in my opinion.
——————-

"Again, what the hell are you two idiots doing here?"

"Well, we were bored at your house and thought we should come where the fun is." Daniel says.

"So you decide to come here instead?!"

"I did say, "where the fun is.", didn't I?"

Jackass.

"Are you going to invite us in or what?" Joshua asks.

"Invite you in?! I can't even invite you over! If you haven't noticed this isn't my house to free-for-all in."

"Oh, no it's cool. We texted Shannon and asked earlier, see." Daniel says, showing me his phone.

"How did you get her number?"

"From Madison." they answer, shrugging.

"Now, as you can see she said yes. Now let us in." Joshua says.

I let out a frustrated sigh and step aside to let thing one and thing two in. "Thank you very much sir." Daniel says, trying to be funny.

"Keep messing with me Daniel and you will be left outside."

Closing the door they follow me to the kitchen. "Woah, what happened to your back? You're all bruised up mate." Joshua asks, concerned and alarmed.

"Like I said earlier. There was a situation that needed to be handled."

All they do is just nod their heads in understanding.

"Is Story okay?" Joshua asks, staring me dead in my eye.

"Yes, she's fine." I answer, taking things out for dinner.

Now seeing by his reaction I know you're wondering.

Why is he so curious about Story?

Well, telling by my back Joshua knows I had some type of physical encounter meant today, so I know his mind went to the worst. Making him already wonder about Story's well being. See, Joshua has an abusive pass as a child where him and his mother was abused countless of times by his father growing up. Sadly he wasn't able to do anything until he was ten and he had to get the police involved one day. Causing everything to come undone and his family's dirty laundry to be aired.

Me and Daniel being his only friends at the time gave us quite a shock when learning the truth, but with help from our parents. Him and his mom got right back on track and soon not too long after his mom fell in love again, with his now stepdad. But ever since then kids have always held a certain place in his heart. No matter if he knows them on a personal level or not, he feels a need to protect them. I know with him seeing my back bruised like this triggered something for him.

"Damn, I see Shannon already has you playing house wife." Daniel says, jokingly.

"Hardy har har." I say, rolling my eyes.

"Anyway, where is my soon to be adorable niece at? I'm dying to meet her!" Joshua asks.

"Yeah, I second that." Daniel chimes.

Looking at the clock, I see it is getting pretty late. "She—"

"Lulu, I'm thirsty." Story says, walking into the kitchen rubbing her eyes.

She drowsily makes her way to me reaching for me. I pick her up for her to immediately snuggle into my neck. Walking to the fridge I grab her a juice pouch, hoping it will wake her up a little.