» crying and kisses

What you need to know:
(y/n) - your name
I'll update this list according to the chapters:)
---
Thomas' p.o.v.
---

The sky darkened quickly. Alby and Minho should not have gone into the maze this late in the day. It was stupid. Reckless.

Newt and I begin walking up to the walls, followed by the remaining gladers. (y/n) let's out a variety of 'excuse me's' and 'sorry's' before squeezing in between the two of us. I give her a small smile. I direct my attention back towards the maze. Thankfully, Alby and Minho come tumbling around the corner. Everybody let's out gasps, and sighs of relief.

"What the shuck happened!?" Gally yells, clearly panicked.

"The griever!" Minho pants, out of breath, "It was only pretending to be dead."

The stress and panic in the glade increases, when the walls begin to slowly close. This event now growing tedious. I can't help but feel saddened by how frequent this seems to happen. Someone is always stuck in the maze. It's always Minho. Yet, this time, Ben is replaced by Alby.

the realisation of Alby's survival state hits me. Of course, we all cared for Ben. We all care about everyone in here. Yet, Alby is the leader. He's been here the longest. The decision wouldn't be as easy to make as it was for Ben. Alby has so much authority and history with this place.

I glance down at (y/n), noticing she has a hard stare on the maze. What she is about to do becomes clear to Newt and I, as she wears her emotions prominently on her face. Newt catches on at the same time I do. He grabs her arm, bringing her ear close to his mouth.

"I don't think so, greenie. Not again." He whispers.

She gains a look of panic on her face, protesting. She attempts to pull her arm away, yet Newt only holds her tighter. She looks towards Alby and Minho, sadness evident on her face. She then looks towards me, desperately.

Obviously, I'm not letting her to go out there. But I know she's not going to give up until something is done.

I look down at (y/n) finally, giving her a sad, yet reassuring smile. Confusion evident on her face, as she shoots me a questioning look.

My gaze lingers on her for a second longer, before I allow myself to sprint past the closing walls, and into the maze. She screams, trying to grab at me, yet of course I was too fast. She thrashes around in Newts hold, as he keeps her close, trying to calm her down. Yet, not even Newt can hide the shock and hurt on his face as he watches me put myself at risk. I reach Minho, grabbing Alby's ankles, while he is holding his wrists. I glance back towards the maze to notice (y/n)'s now limp body sobbing in Newt's arms. She stares at me with a look that would make me cry, myself if I wasn't full of adrenaline. Newt looks as if he's going to cry as well. I notice how the walls are about to close, realisation that we won't make it back in time hits. I don't know what I was expecting coming into this, but I couldn't just stand there and watch. I look at
(y/n) giving her a sad, yet reassuring smile.

'I love you,'

I mouth to her. A look of shock grows on her face, as the doors then close, separating us. I slightly smile to myself, regardless of the circumstances. I did it.

Yet, I am quickly pulled out of my trance when Minho grips my shoulders, shaking me vigorously.

"You shucking idiot!" He booms, causing me to flinch, "You are just as bad as she is! Do neither of you understand that we want to keep the death toll to a minimum!? You slinthead!" Minho finishes, fuming.

"Look Minho, I'm sorry," I start, "But we all know she wasn't going to give up until something was done. I didn't want to see her hurt."

Minho grits his teeth, shaking his head at me. "Don't you get it?" He mumbles, "By doing this, you have hurt her more than if it were just Alby and I out here. How could you do that to her?" He glares at me before walking towards Alby, and dragging him towards some moss and vines, attempting to hide him.

The realisation of what he says hits me like a brick wall. I hurt her. I think. He's right.

"Get ready for a long night, slinthead." Minho yells at me, from where he is with Alby. Yet, I barely even register what he says, as I can't get the idea out of my head that I hurt her.

I am so sorry, (y/n).

--
(y/n)'s p.o.v.
---

He loves me.

Newt's grip loosens on me, as he allows my limp body to sink into the ground.

He loves me.

Cries escapes from my lips, as Newt drops down beside me, rubbing my back and whispering comforting words in my ear.

"It's okay, love, you're okay. I've got you. Shh it's okay." He repeats over and over. He hugs me tightly, as if hoping to somehow absore my pain.

He loves me.

The words engraved in my mind. My body feels numb, as tears no longer escape my eyes. I merely stare at the ground, a blank look on my face. How could he tell me like that, I think, tells me when he's about to be locked in the maze. Tells me when he knows I'll probably never see him again. Damn it, Thomas, why do I have to care for you so much.

"Newt," I call out, once I don't feel his touch or hear his words anymore. My gaze hardened on the ground. When he doesn't respond for a while, I direct my gaze upwards. "Newt?" I question a bit louder.

He is sitting about a foot away from me, silently crying, staring at the ground. He slowly directs his gaze upwards, looking me in the eye. His eyes are red.

My eyes soften as I scoot beside him, rubbing his back. "Are you alright!?" I question. Obviously he's not alright, (y/n). His best friend was just locked in the maze overnight. I think to myself.

"No." he lets out. His voice soft and barely audible.

"Talk to me." I offer, continuing to rub his back.

He pauses for a long time, before letting out a sigh. "He's my best friend, (y/n)," he tells me, "Every single bad thing that has happened to me while I've been in the glade," he pauses for a second as he chokes on some sobs, "Every single thing. He's been there for me. Always beside me," he finishes, wiping away tears, "I know this may sound stupid. But it just hurts me that I wasn't there for him this time. And the thought of not being able to see him agai-"

I cut him off. "Newt. I can't even begin to understand the pain of that. I'm really, truly sorry. I've never had a best friend. Not one I can remember anyways. But, let's not even think about that possibility. Let's stay positive for Thomas," I offer him a small smile, "Hey, if I survived a night, out there, anyone can." I chuckle, attempting to lighten the mood a tad.

Newt lets out a slight chuckle. "Thank you, (y/n). Besides Thomas, you're the only other person I trust here. So honestly, thank you." He half smiles at me.

I can't help but smile back. "You don't have to thank me Newt," I tell him honestly, beginning to stand up, "I'll always be here for you."

"Good." he responds, before grabbing my hand, and pulling me back down to the ground with him. I give him a confused look, but he has no time to even see it, as he quickly connects his soft lips to mine. Shocked, I pull away. I feel my heart pounding anxiously, as I stand up to my feet, feeling dizzy from the quick movements.

Newt stands up quickly beside me, panicked. "(y/n), I'm sorry! I just got caught up in the moment and-"

"No, no, no," I fumble over my words, looking around panicked. I then begin running towards the area coated with trees, as tears freely run down my face. I hear Newt call out after me, but I don't stop.

My mind panics about the situation. I feel as if I'm going to pass out.

---