» runner

What you need to know:
(y/n) - your name
I'll update this list according to the chapters:)
---
(y/n)'s p.o.v.
---

    "Track-hoe!" I exclaim, staring down the tall, darker skinned man towering over me, "Are you serious, Alby?"

"Yup."

"I don't wanna hang out with dirt and worms all day. That sounds awfully boring."

"There's a lot more to the job than dirt and worms, (y/n)," he scoffs mockingly, "just try it."

I roll my eyes, as Alby begins to walk away. The next sentence that escapes my lips causes him to freeze in place.

"I want to be a runner."

He turns around, approaching me, "you don't know what you're talking about, (y/n). That job is very challenging, and you have to be a hundred percent commited to do that everyday."

"I think you're forgetting I survived a night out there," my voice comes out like venom. Insulted that he doesn't think I'm up to it after I'm one out of two gladers that has ever survived.

"You were lucky. It's a miracle you lived. I still don't understand how that was possible, you coming back with nothing more than a couple bruises," he spits back, "you're a greenie. You're not ready for that yet."

"You don't know what I'm ready for, Alby. Let me try it for one day, and I gaurentee I will prove you wrong."

Alby pauses for a couple seconds, before letting out an annoyed sigh, "fine," he whispers bitterly, "you try it. You stick with Minho the entire time, and then at the end of the day we will evaluate. If we don't think it's right, then you are not stepping foot in the maze again."

"Sounds fair to me," I reach out my hand out.

He grabs it, giving it a firm shake. I can't help but show a half smile. I cough, trying to cover it up from Alby. As we let go of the handshake, Thomas and Newt approach.

"What was that about?" Thomas questions.

I smile, turning to them, "Alby agreed to let me try being a runner."

The smile that was on both of their faces disappears instantly.

"A runner? But why?" Newt panics.

"Because I think I would be good at it."

"No, I don't want you going out there!" He grips my shoulders lightly.

"Why?" I ask, oblivious, letting out a laugh.

"Because what if you get hurt! Or worse." He trails off towards the end.

I smirk, "and why exactly are you worried about me?"

Newt blushes, as Thomas gives me a small shove, annoyed at my attitude. "Because we care about you. Kinda like how you were yesterday morning, (y/n)."

By now, Alby has walked off. I assume he doesn't want to get involved in this.

Thomas is right. They're just worried about me, like I was with him. my attitude changes as I crack a genuine smile. "I'll be careful, don't worry. Besides I'm tougher than you, Thomas," I wink, letting out a laugh. Newt laughs along with me, as Thomas stands there attempting to be mad, but can't help but cave in laughing too.

"Now I'm definitely not supporting the runner idea," he laughs, reaching out to grab me. I scream, laughing, as I run away from the two of them. They both chase after me.

"I'm going to be a runner!" I sing, out of breath, "there's nothing the two of you can do about it!"

"We'll just have to see about that, now won't we?" Thomas calls from behind me, slowly catching up.

"I guess we will!" I yell back, sticking out my tounge.

My boys...

---