» trapped

Drowning.

I come to the conclusion that I am drowning. I am in a glass tube, with many faces staring back at me. The glass tube is mostly filled with water. I stretch my head up as far as it could go, greedily taking in my last breaths. I feel myself start to phase in and out of consciousness, as I can hear the sound of my own heartbeat loudly in my head. Overpowering all other sounds.

Almost.

There is another noise. One not so comforting. I hear the voice of a women, her words repeating a single phrase over and over.

"WICKED is good, WICKED is good."

These words continue. Each time it is repeated, it grows louder. I begin to see black dots around the corner of my vision. I feel my lungs struggling to hold its last breath. With my last seconds, I glance around the room, noticing more tubes filled with water. I study them closely. Notcing that inside are the other gladers.

Newt.

Thomas.

Chuck.

They're all there. But why?

"See you soon, (Y/N)." Is the last thing I hear before everything turns black.

-

I shoot up, panting. Frantically, my eyes dart around the room, looking for some sort of hint to signify where I am. My hand shoots up to my forehead, wiping off a bead of sweat. When suddenly, I remember.

(y/n).

"(y/n)!" I repeat outloud. My panic turns to relief and joy, as I sit up abruptly in the makeshift bed.

"My name is (y/n)!" I grin wildly. Remembering my name overpowers any need to panic. All I can feel is happiness. The door opens rapidly. I quickly glace up seeing Newt, Thomas and someone I don't recognize. The three flood into the room, running over to me, asking me thousands of questions.

"GUYS!" I yell overpowering them. The room falls silent, as they stare, waiting for me to continue.
"(y/n)," I grin, "I remember!"

Newts face turns into a smile, as he pulls me into a hug. Although I'm uncomfortable, I allow him to hug me. Once he lets go, Thomas walks up to me, messing up my hair with his hand. "(y/n), huh?" He smirks. I nod, while shooting a soft smile his way. My attention then goes to the third person in the room.

"This is Alby," Thomas points out, "He's the one in charge of the glade." Alby shoots me a small smile.

"Good to finally meet you. I was hoping to meet you at the bonfire, but unfortunately, Gally decided to be an utter annoyance."

I laugh a little. "I'm glad to meet you too, Alby."

He smiles and motions for me to follow him. "You boys can meet up with her again later. For now, there's something we need to do." I wave to Newt and Thomas, as I follow Alby out the door of the makeshift building. We walk closer and closer to the wall. I wonder if he's going to take me past the walls. My thoughts are proved wrong, as we stop in front of a random part of the wall.

"What are we doing?" I question.

"We need to write your name on the wall. Every greenie does it when they first remember their name."

I nod my head understanding, then bringing my attention to the wall. It is filled with names. Some are crossed out. I decide not to ask about it, since I can put together what that means. Alby hands me a small knife. I cautiously eye it, slowly taking it from his grasp. I then look towards the wall, looking for a good place to carve. I finally settle on an open spot between Thomas and Newt. I slide the knife across the wall, making my name. Once I finish, I take a step back to see (y/n) in a messy cursive. Pretty impressive with a knife if you ask me. I smile, proudly, then carefully hand the knife back to Alby.

"Nice job, greenie," Alby smiles. He then looks towards the opening beside us. His face grows worried, as he looks up at the sky. Frowning more, he walks slowly towards the opening.

"What's wrong?" I question, trailing behind him.

"Nothing you need to worry about. But, our two runners, Minho and Ben, haven't returned yet."

I frown, taking in the news. Not really understand why it was so bad. Why does it matter if they're a couple minutes late? And why are they allowed out there, but I'm not? And what are runners? I walk with Alby towards to the opening, watching with him for any sign of them.

Minutes go by, and still no sign of them. Soon, the rest of the gladers crowd around the opening. The doors begin to close.

"WOAH!" I jump back, surprised by how massive pieces of stone move with ease, "What's going on!?"

I feel someone grab my shoulders, and try to gently pull me back. I fight against it, turning around. Newt looks at me worried, as he reaches for my hand.

"Come on, love. Let's get you away from here."

"Newt, what's going on-"

I am cut off by a voice yelling, "There they are!" Newt and I whip around to see one of the boys dragging the other one across the floor. Everyone starts yelling.

"Come on, Minho!"

"Just drop him!"

"Faster!"

"Just leave Ben!"

The one carrying the hurt boy must be Minho. Minho starts to slow down, losing hope. If I could just run out there and help Minho pull the boy in, he'd make it in time.

Set on my plan, I race into the maze.

"(y/n)!!" Newt yells, reaching for me. But, he is too late, as I already slid past the doors. I hear multiple people yell for me, as I reach Minho. I grab Ben's other arm, attempting to help Minho pull him. Minho looks at me.

"What is wrong with you, Shank!" He hissed, "now all three of us are going to die!" I shake it off. We're not even half way to the opening, when I know for a fact that we won't make it.

I let out a huff, losing all of my hope. I head a loud thud, signifying, that the doors have closed.

"Nobody's ever survived a night in the maze." Minho growls, sliding his back down the side of the wall.

We are trapped.

---