"We should start a charity case for you Valerie. Wouldn't you appreciate that?" The girl continued to tease.

I clenched my jaw in anger. Did she seriously have to taunt Valerie in front of so many people?

"Unlike you, I don't need anyone's pity nor attention, Eden." Valerie enunciated with anger lacing her words.

I felt my anger rising when I saw Eden's hand wrapping around Valerie's wrist. She yanked Valerie up from her seat causing her to shriek out in pain.

"You're hurting me!" Valerie sneered.

"Good. That's what you deserve."

Not being able to control myself any longer, I stood up from my seat and forcefully shoved Eden back. The sudden impact throwing her off balance.

Valerie instantly pulled her hand back and scurried away from us. Probably sensing the upcoming storm that Eden and I would soon drop inside the grill.

"Who the f-ck are you?" Eden snarled.

"Trust me, you don't want to know." I spoke softly as I held her gaze.

"Oh I see." Eden mocked. She stepped closer towards me and looked me up and down. "Valerie's got herself a new toy to play with. You got someone to feed off of, huh Val?"

"What are you talking about?" I finally asked.

I was tired of just sitting back and watching Valerie getting humiliated by this piece of crap. If she continued to bother her, I wouldn't hesitate to give her a taste of her own medicine.

"Oh she hasn't told you?" Eden feigned shock. "Watch your back. Valerie is like a leech. Turn your back on her and next thing you know she'll suck you dry."

"I suggest you treat Valerie with more respect." I bit out angrily.

"Or what?"

I leaned closer towards the girl's ear and whispered. "You'd wish you never found out."

I turned my back on Eden and I left money on the table to cover the amount of food Valerie and I had ordered. I then signaled to Valerie that it was time to leave. Before we even reached the exit I heard Eden muttering a weak attempt of a threat. Which caused me to turn around and stomp menacingly towards her.

I stepped mere inches away from her face before responding.

"Was that a threat I heard?" I questioned her. "I don't appreciate threaths being thrown at me, little girl."

I balled her leather jacket in my hand as I pulled her closer. I was fuming by now and I wanted to make it very clear for Eden not to play with me. I wasn't someone to be messed with.

I noticed by the bewildered look in Eden's face, that she was beginning to understand I meant no games.

"You won't always be around Valerie." Eden pronounced instead.

"You should be smart enough to know that if you cause her any trouble at school or outside of school grounds, you'll be dealing with me. And trust me when I say– you don't want that."

I forcefully pushed her away and she stumbled back fighting for her balance.

I then turned and rushed out of the diner in search of Valerie. She was nowhere to be seen and that fact alone began to preoccupy me. Where was she? Where had she walked off to?

I then saw a lonesome figure making it's way down the parking lot. It took me a moment to realize that it was in fact Valerie. I then sprinted in order to catch up to her.

"Valerie, where are you going?" I demanded.

She continued to walk away from me and I angrily pulled her back by her arm. That's when I noticed that she was crying.

"What do you want Nancy?!" She cried out. "Are you here to taunt me as well? Go ahead!"

"What are you–"

"I don't want your pity Nancy! Leave me alone. You don't have to act as if you care, okay?" She interrupted me.

She snatched her arm away from me and she continued to walk in the opposite direction. I was beginning to lose my patience and I knew that was far from being good.

"Valerie, what is your problem?" I called out.

"Why do you care?!" She turned around so fast I was surprised she didn't get whiplash.

"What has that girl done to you?"

I stepped closer towards her and Valerie shook her head at me. Her sobs were getting harder to control and I knew she'd suffer another breakdown like the one she had earlier.

"Why does it matter Nanc–"

"Because I care!" I growled out in anger. "I care about you Val, whether you want me to or not, I don't give a f-ck! I care about you and you're not going to change the fact that I do."

Her lips trembled slightly and she blinked back a couple of unshed tears. "I don't want you to Nancy."

I clenched my jaw in anger. "Fine, if that's what you want, then so be it."

She walked away from me and I didn't hesitate to turn my back on her as well.

I began to walk away from her as thoughts about tonight consumed my mind.

If she really wanted me to leave her alone then that's what I'd do. I couldn't force my care upon her. She was clearly pushing me away.

And if she wanted me to walk away and leave her alone– then that's exactly what I wouldn't do!

I stopped walking.

Simply because that was something friends weren't supposed to do.

So without a moment's hesitation I turned around and I rushed to catch up with Valerie. She wasn't aware of my presence until the moment I wrapped my arms around her body. That's when she collapsed into me and she sobbed all of her pain on me.

"It's okay Val." I reassured. "Let it all out."

I ignored the wet substance forming in my shirt due to her tears, I ignored the sound around us and I ignored Valerie's constant apologies.

There was nothing to forgive.

Just the fact that I almost failed Valerie as a friend. Just like I failed Candice as a wife.

°°°