Threats

Nancy POV~

I tore my gaze away from the group of people that were now making their way towards our table. I cast a worried glance towards Valerie, who had visibly paled ever since their arrival.

"Are you okay Val?" I voiced out. "Is she the one bothering you?"

Valerie hesitated before mumbling. "More like tormenting."

Before I could continue questioning her, the butch girl was now towering over our table. She seemed very intimidating what with her dark clothing and menacing height.

I was not affected by her in any way, but I knew that Valerie was. 

I hated the stark contrast between the two. While the girl sported a well built frame, Valerie looked extremely small and fragile.

She wouldn't be capable of doing much even if she did put up a fight.

I hated that.

I hated the fact that this girl alone could cause serious damage to Valerie without her having the capability of defending herself.

I was sure that the girl was taller than me by a few inches, but I was not affected. I was positive I could take her down if a fight broke out. Of course, she would probably land a few good hits as well, but I could manage. My physique wasn't scrawny and there wasn't much of a difference in height between her and me.

"Well, look who finally decided to visit us again." The girl taunted as she stared Valerie down. "Haven't seen much of you around here Valerie. Or anywhere else that involves money interaction actually."

The girl and her posse began to laugh and this caused nearby teenagers to focus their attention on us.

Meanwhile I focused on Valerie and what the girl was saying.

Was Valerie going through financial problems?

That's what I pretty much understood according to what the girl was saying. Not that Valerie appeared to be. She had always volunteered to pay whenever we went out for dinner. I never allowed her to, of course. And she would always bring take out food whenever she visited me at my house. So I had no reason to believe that she was--in fact--going through financial problems. Then again– I hardly knew Valerie.

This fact alone made anything coming from the girl's mouth highly believable. 

I switched my gaze towards Valerie who was now fidgeting uncomfortably in her seat. I understood instantly that she'd rather have me sitting anywhere else than sitting right here and witnessing her embarrassment.

And me?

I was absolutely delighted to be here at the moment.

Because all I wanted to do was stand up for Valerie and put her bully in her much deserved place. Although I kept reminding myself to keep my temper under control.

I didn't want to cause Valerie any unwanted embarrassment. I knew, for a fact, that she would get talked about for days to come if I so much as stood up for her at a much frequented place like this. Her classmates would talk about that woman that turned the butch girl into a pulp because Valerie was incapable of doing it herself.

Just wait and step in whenever it's truly necessary, I ordered myself.

I hated everything about this moment. I hated how I had to keep quiet for Valerie's sake. I hated how she was being tormented even outside of school grounds. I hated how she kept quiet and lowered her gaze in front of this girl. I hated to see her so powerless among this group of wannabes. I hated to see Valerie in such a vulnerable state.