Chapter 43

Araile's muscles quivered as Kane walked slowly over to her, his eyes hiding what was going through his mind. He hid all his emotions throughout the entire ordeal. Araile bit back a growl and clenched her hands in fists.

"Please, sir. I want to continue living with Kakashi" she pleaded, looking towards the elderly councilman.

"I'm sorry, Araile. My decision is final" he said firmly, and sat down in his chair that was situated in the centre of the long table.

She whimpered quietly, her tail twitching slightly.

"I don't want to.." Araile began quietly, but the chairman interrupted.

"I have heard enough! Araile, you are to go with your brother from now on. That is final! Do I make myself clear, young lady?"

She opened her mouth to retaliate, but a hand on her shoulder stopped her. Looking up, she saw Kakashi shake his head at her. Heaving a sigh, she wrung her hands on the hem of her shirt.

"Yes sir" she whispered, looking down at her feet.

"Good. Now, you may have some time to get your things packed and say your goodbyes. You are dismissed" the councilman said with a wave of his hand.

She nodded sadly and walked out, Takumi trailing behind her and giving everything in his sights a glare even the grim reaper himself would be scared of. Walking outside, everything seemed to be quieter. The birds that once sang so brightly and cheerfully, now seemed to sing with a mournful tune in their little beating hearts.

Sniffling slightly, she opened the front door to her-no, it was just Kakashi's now-apartment and walked silently to her bedroom. She knew every nook and cranny in this apartment and loved it. She grew up here, and now she had to leave.

Takumi, panting slightly, jumped up onto her bed and laid on his stomach as Araile pulled some of her clothes into a large duffle bag, her mind began swirling with thoughts.

Her hand touched something soft, and she paused in her packing. Looking down, she noticed it was the little cat plushie that Kakashi had bought her. Ao-chan. She loved her Ao-chan from the day she recieved it. Her eyes filled up with tears as she silently put it in the bag.

Takumi's whine caused her ears to perk up. Looking up, she quickly wiped a few stray tears that had managed to fall. Kakashi stood by her doorway, hands deep in his pockets.

"Are you ready?" he asked, his voice low and Araile nodded, not trusting herself to speak.

"Your brother will be here soon" Kakashi said, his eye sad and mournful.

Nodding again, she got up and slung the duffel bag over her shoulder. Walking towards the door, she quickly dumped the bag to the ground and threw her arms around Kakashi's waist, burying her head into his vest.

"I don't want to go" she said thickly, her voice being muffled by the vest's material.

Her tail twitched as Kakashi's arms went around her shoulders, gently returning the hug.

"I know. It will be good for you, Araile. You're not a little girl anymore. In fact I think you're growing up too fast" Kakashi said gently, stroking Araile's hair softly.

Sniffing, she nodded her head and stood back, wiping her eyes with the back of her hands. Kakashi tweaked her nose and smiled.

"Keep your chin up, little bird" he said, using the name her parents had used when she was a baby.

Araile looked up, offering him a small smile. A whine caught her attention and she turned, seeing Takumi still lying on her bed. She walked over to the dog and threw her arms around his neck, burying her hands in his thick, black fur.

"You have to take care of Kakashi for me, Takumi. Okay?" Araile whispered as more tears fell from her eyes.

"You're the best friend I ever had" she said as she released Takumi, giving him a few more ear scratches.

He gave a small yip in return, before reaching out and licking her cheek. Araile gave a small giggle and wiped her cheek with the back of her hand.

"Araile? It's time" Kakashi said.

Nodding again, Araile walked away and hoisted her duffel bag onto her shoulder. She walked out the bedroom door, down the hallway and out the front door, where Kane was waiting for her. Looking back, she gave a little wave as Kakashi watched from the doorway.

"Let's go" Kane stated, and began walking towards the front gates of Konoha.

She turned back once more to get a last glimpse of the small apartment, before turning back and hurrying to catch up with Kane. Her ear twitched as a howl sounded on the wind.

"Takumi...." Araile thought sadly as the dog continued to howl, it's tune empty and mournful.