Chapter 38

'Burning...my throat is burning'

Silence.

'Water...want some water...'

More silence.

Thoughts like these drifted through Araile's fogged mind as her body tried fighting against the sickness that had taken a hold of her immune system. It had weakened every day due to the rigorous training Kane made her go through.

Without knowing it, she had caught the illness a few days ago from a village resident, and the rain had helped the sickness finally take its claim on her body.

During the last couple of days since her struggle home in the rain a fever had plagued her body, making her body temperature soar to dangerous degrees and chills that left her limbs shaking.

Rivers of sweat left her hair plastered to her face and neck and dampened her bed sheets. Wet-sounding coughs echoed through her bedroom, and her breathing became raspy.

As the days went by, Kakashi became more and more concerned. The fever still had not broken, and he began to fear the worst. She was small to begin with, and her frail body almost had no chance to fight back.

Stubborn little bugger.

Cool, damp washcloths continued to take residence on her forehead. Takumi had become the 'washcloth guardian' according to Kakashi: every time it was time to change the washcloth, Takumi would find Kakashi and paw his pant leg repeatedly, until there was a fresh one placed on Araile's forehead.

A medical nin had come and checked on her, and concluded to just let the virus run its course. He had seen this particular virus before in the village. It seemed bad in the beginning, but he assured the Jonin that it would run its course.

Waiting could be so hard at times, especially when it came to Araile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"What do you want?"

Kakashi glowered at the visitor on the fourth day of Araile being sick. Takumi padded out of Araile's bedroom to indicate that his companion needed a new washcloth, and stopped with perked ears.

Where was Kakashi? He heard Kakashi's voice down the hallway, and padded towards the voice. Why was he angry? Confused by the anger, he came to investigate.

Kane had appeared at the doorway as Kakashi went out to get some groceries, leaving Takumi to look after Araile.

"Is my sister well enough to train" Kane stated.

"After you left her in the rain? No."

Kane 'humpf'ed' and crossed his arms over his chest.

"That is what happens when you're weak" he muttered, and Kakashi's eye narrowed.

"How can you say that? Araile is your sister! Your own flesh and blood! Do you care for her well being at all?" he said angrily.

Kane's eyes narrowed as he glared at the Copy Ninja standing in front of him.

"She is my kin. I will train her the way I please" he snapped, then turned and walked away down the steps.

Kakashi sighed, and after stepping outside, locked the front door, and headed towards the market to get his desired groceries. As he walked, Kakashi's mind took him down memory lane and back to the times when Araile was just a small toddler, barely learning how to walk on two chubby legs.

Smiling under his mask, Kakashi continued to let his mind wander.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Well now, look at you" Kakashi chuckled as he watched Araile grasp the couch tightly in her small hands and lift herself up.

Her little legs wobbled as she hesitantly let go of the fabric, and took a tentative step towards her caretaker. Her balance was a little off, but she was determined.

She gave a happy squeal as she took little wobbly steps towards Kakashi.

Araile was going to do it! She was going to walk!

Unfortunately a pillow got in the toddlers way, and she toppled over onto her back.

Giving a small laugh, Kakashi walked over to her to see if she had hurt herself. She looked up at him and smiled widely, before rolling onto her tummy.

Araile set her sights on the kitchen, which in fact was one of her favourite place to play.

"Now where are you going?" Kakashi inquired as he watched her take off crawling, smiling as he got up and followed behind her.

"Of course!" he laughed as he watched Araile sneak under the table and giggle.

"Da da da!" she happily said, and pointed a chubby finger at Kakashi.

"No kiddo" Kakashi answered.

She had a habit of calling Kakashi 'da', which Kakashi was trying to get rid of. She hadn't gotten the hang of long words yet, but it was a work in progress.

A bird chirped from a tree branch outside, and her little ears perked up as she looked towards the window.

"Bird!" Araile giggled, but to Kakashi it sounded like 'bur!'.

Kakashi chuckled and picked her up from the bottom of the kitchen table. She looked around from this new perspective as Kakashi began walking down the hallway. It was past her nap time and when that happened, she turned into quite a cranky and fussy toddler.

She chattered as the Jonin carried the small toddler into her bedroom, giggling and clapping her hands together. To him it sounded like jibberish, but with some distinguished words here and there. Sometimes he indulged the toddler as if they were having a real conversation. Not that anyone knew that; he did not want that piece of information getting out. If that happened, people would want him to babysit and he would never have the time to read his books.

"Time to get some sleep, Araile" Kakashi said gently as he placed her in her small bed.

"Seep"  she repeated the word 'sleep' quietly as sleepiness took a hold of her small body.

A big yawn interrupted any other words she was going to say, and she rubbed a drowsy eye with a fist. She opened her mouth and let out a few sleepy toddler sounds.

Kakashi smiled and pulled the covers over her body as she snuggled into her pillow, thumb finding itself into her mouth. Not a few moments later she was fast asleep and sucking gently on her thumb.

Kakashi turned off the light as he quietly walked out of her room, and closed the door.

Sighing, the Copy Ninja walked quietly into the small family room and lounged on the couch. Reclining against the cushions, he took out his 'Make-Out Paradise' novel and began reading where he last left off.

This was the only time he could read his favourite series without a certain toddler trying to rip the precious pages out.

Who knew toddlers could be such a hassle at times?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Humming under his breath, Kakashi unlocked the front door and stepped inside. Right on cue Takumi came padding over, tail twitching and letting out a couple barks.

"I know. New washcloth" Kakashi murmured and put the groceries on the kitchen table.

Priority number one: get Araile's fever to break.