Chapter 42

Some time passed, and the pillow migrated from being on top of her head to against her stomach. A knock interrupted Araile's solemn thoughts. Sighing, she clutched her pillow tighter to her body and curled around it, not willing to get up to see who it was that knocked. Her tail curled around her legs, settling around the crook of her knee.

"Araile?" a voice softly drifted through the darkened room.

"Go away..." Araile implored in her mind.

Soft footsteps came towards her bed, and she felt a shift in the mattress as that person sat on the bed as her back faced the person.

"Araile" the voice said again.

Her tail twitched slightly as Kakashi put a hand on her shoulder. Araile clutched the pillow tighter as hot tears pricked her eyes, and she quickly brushed them away. Her chest still hurt from Sasuke's blow, though it was less then before.

Her heart, though, continued to ache as each beat sent the same thought to her brain: He's gone...he's gone...he's gone.

"Araile...Sasuke left the village" Kakashi said, his hand still placed on her shoulder.

He felt her flinch just the slightest bit, and sighed softly.

"You know, don't you. Is that why you were out later then usual?" he asked, and she answered by inclining her head a tiny bit.

Kakashi sighed; his heart going out to the 11 year old. He knew something like this was going to happen to Sasuke one day, but he hoped that his lecture would have gotten through to the young Uchiha.

"He didn't say goodbye."

"Hm?" Kakashi blinked and looked over to see her eyes open.

"Sasuke..he didn't say goodbye before leaving the village" she said quietly.

"I know" Kakashi said in a soothing tone.

Araile turned over and in a flash buried her head into Kakashi's lap, the tears that she had been fighting back for so long coming out in a flood. She sobbed as Kakashi put a gentle hand on her quivering shoulders. All the hurt she felt, all the sadness from her parent's death, her brother in the hospital and then treating her like a practise dummy...it just wasn't fair!

Why was Araile the one who had an older brother that was always so demanding? Or that her best friends left her without a proper goodbye? Or that she had no mother or father?

Sure, Araile had Kakashi, but he was not always there when she needed him. It was too much to handle for an 11 year old kid like her to handle. She felt lost; an empty shell that with the slightest pressure would break into a million pieces.

As her sobs subsided to small hiccups then to silence, her body sagged against Kakashi from exhaustion. Kakashi, sensing that she had cried herself out, slowly squeezed her shoulder and situated her silent form against the pillow.

"Now get some rest, Araile" he smiled gently and ruffled her hair.

Araile nodded slightly and pulled the blanket up over her head, not caring how silly she looked. She heard Kakashi sigh and walk out of the room, the door closing with a brief 'click'. Heaving a big sigh, she turned over and gave in to the exhaustion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A couple days went by, and Araile began to come out of her room. Slowly at first, then a little bit more every day. Kakashi would give her a brief pat on the head every time he saw her come out. Takumi stayed by her side almost everywhere she went, which gave her a little bit of comfort.

Her heart was still hurting from Sasuke's betrayal, but the pain dulled a little bit more every day.

On the morning of the 8th day of Sasuke's betrayal, she decided to venture out onto the streets; Takumi by her side of course.

Sighing, she took a tentative step forward into the warm, sunny air from the darkness of the inside of the apartment. Birds chirped from a nearby tree, and a small smile twitched along her lips as she noticed a couple of small children playing nearby. Takumi sniffed the air as a fuzzy bee flew by.

"Ah, Araile! Glad to see you are out and about" a voice said from across the street.

Looking, she noticed a Jonin from across the street. She had seen him around, but didn't know his name.

"The council elders wanted me to fetch you. They want to have a talk with you" the Jonin said as he crossed the street.

Araile nodded slowly and walked up to him. He smiled warmly down at her and began walking towards the Hokage's building. Takumi growled softly and followed her, his tail twitching back and forth.

"What do they want to talk to me about?" Araile asked him.

"Sadly, I don't know" he answered.

Finally, the duo made it to the large building. The Jonin opened the door for her, and she gave him a small smile before walking in. He led her to the hallway where the Hokage worked, and her ears lowered slightly when she remembered that the kind old man had died.

Knocking on the door, the Jonin ushered Araile inside.

"Ah, Araile. We've been meaning to have a word with you" one of the councilmen stated as he shifted some papers.

She bowed her head a little in respect as another door opened. She turned her head and smiled when Kakashi walked through. She blinked in surprise when behind him was her older brother, Kane.

Araile began walking over to the pair when the councilmen spoke out.

"Just a minute, young lady. It seems that you've been living with Hatake Kakashi for 8 years. Is this true?"

"Yes, sir" she said, not really sure where this was going.

"Now, we've had word that your next of kin is this young man here" he continued as he pointed a wrinkled, old finger towards Kane.

"Yes, sir."

"We have all concluded that you will be living with your next of kin" the councilmen stated firmly, the other members nodding their heads.

"What? No!" Araile shouted, and raced towards Kakashi.

A couple of Jonins held onto her as she struggled viciously to reach Kakashi. Kakashi stood there, a slight stunned expression on his face, while Kane's held a look of smug content. Takumi snarled and launched himself at one of the Jonins that was restraining his companion. The Jonin yelped as Takumi latched onto his leg.

Araile slammed her knee against the shin of the Jonin on her right, and bit deep into his hand. He cursed loudly and with his free hand grabbed the back of her shirt collar.

The councilman shouted loudly for everyone to stop. She let go of the Jonin's hand, and the Jonin in turn let go of her shirt collar.