Chapter 16

Suddenly, a kunai flew through Araile's bedroom window, almost shattering it. Araile pressed her hands to her mouth to suppress a scream that almost burst from her lips. Takumi licked the girl's cheek, and she gave the dog-like creature a shaky smile. Taking a deep breath, Araile slowly stood up. 

Her mind was made up: she would get the kunai in the living room. 

She tiptoed to her bedroom door and opened it slowly. Her ears strained to catch any sounds of anyone entering the apartment. 

She poked her head out of her bedroom and slowly tiptoed down the hall, hoping to not make a sound. Takumi's eyes narrowed slightly as he growled, and began nudging his friend back into her room, but Araile shoo'ed away his nudging nose.

"I have to do this, Takumi" she whispered, and continued creeping down the hallway.

A 'bang' echoed from outside, and her nerves screamed at her to run and hide, or to run and find Kakashi and Team 7.

Araile silently made her way into the living room and squeezed into a darkened corner, ears constantly twitching. She flinched when another 'bang' sounded, like multiple small explosions going off in the village. 

What was happening out there? 

Araile covered her head with her arms as pieces of wood flew from the walls and ceiling. A body suddenly flew through a hole in the wall, and Araile froze in fear. The body groaned and got to its feet. 

Araile's eyes widened when she laid eyes on the person's headband: the symbol was completely scratched out. 

A wave of unwashed body odour washed over Araile, and she silently gagged before clasping a hand to her nose. The body-a man with scraggy and dirty hair-shook his head before looking around. Araile pressed herself against the wall, heart pounding in her ears. Her body trembled as fear washed over the 9 year old. 

Takumi let out a deep growl, and stalked out from the shadows of the hallway.

"No Takumi!" Araile hissed as she tried to grab at Takumi as the dog passed, but missed.

Takumi then suddenly yelped as the rouge ninja quickly stabbed his kunai into Takumi's leg. Takumi backed off, yelping and snarling as crimson blood dripped steadily from the wound. 

Araile gasped, but quickly slapped her hands over her mouth as the ninja's head perked up. 

A smirk slid over his face, and he walked slowly towards the trembling girl's hiding place. A growl echoed through the apartment as Takumi snarled and lept at the ninja again, his blood dripping down his hind leg in a steady stream.

The ninja cried out as Takumi bit and clawed at the rogue, as the dog protected the fear-stricken girl in the corner with everything he was worth. Araile cried out in pain as a stray shurikan slashed her arm and embedded itself into the floor.

A swift punch to the injured leg left Takumi yelping and hobbling. He fell onto his side, and with a growl tried to rise to his feet, but his limbs gave out from the wound. Araile's eyes widened when the rogue let out a loud laugh, and appeared in front of her. 

"Hey, this is the little runt I was having fun with!" he said as he stood over her shaking body.

The rogue took out a kunai, and an evil smile spread over his face. Without warning, he lunged and grabbed Araile's arm, causing the 9 year old to yelp as he pulled her upright. Araile was pretty sure the rogue had ripped her arm out of her socket. 

"Lemme go" Araile bit out, kicking at the rogue's shin. 

He laughed and shook her arm again, causing the girl to cry out in pain. She bit her lip as he shook her again.

"The boss is going to like you" he sneered, raising the kunai blade to her face. 

Takumi growled loudly as he tried to rise from the floor, and Araile looked back with wide eyes as the ninja smirked.

"Nighty-night" the ninja sneered, before he slammed the handle of the kunai knife against the back of her head.

Araile yelped loudly as white-hot pain erupted from the back of her head, and raced down to the very tips of her toes. She slowly began to see spots of colour dance around her vision, and she gritted her teeth. 

She had to fight back! She couldn't pass out! She had to help everyone! 

Unfortunately darkness won this round, and everything went black.

The ninja smirked as the young girl's body went limp, before a 'bang' outside caused the rogue to release her arm as he looked around. Araile fell to the floor, smacking her head against a chair in the process. 

A shout outside caught the rogue's attention, and smirking he bent down to pick up the young girl by the waist. Takumi snarled, but a kick from the rogue silenced the dog demon as his body flew back against a wall with a high pitched scream. 

Takumi landed on the floor in a heap, and the rogue smirked. That was one more distraction out of the way. The boss didn't take it very well when missions didn't succeed, and the last failed mission ended in his partner being killed. 

He looked up when he heard a few more explosions outside, and sighed. They always got carried away with the explosions. He shifted his target in his arm, and grunted when his ribs protested. 

That damn black dog-thing had cut the skin over his ribs, and now it felt like it was on fire with every breath. At least that thing was dead, or if not close to being dead. He was going to be sore for a week, maybe even more.

He smirked again, before making a hand sign with his one hand. His body, along with Araile's unconscious body, disappeared with a whirl of wind and leaves.  

The front door burst open soon after. Takumi opened one eye slowly and whined, paws scrabbling to lift his body from the floor. Painfully, the dog made it to his feet and limped heavily to the spot where he had last seen his small friend. 

Voices appeared behind him, but Takumi paid no attention as he lowered his nose to the ground, trying to catch a whiff of his friend. 

Tail twitching, he limped around the living room, trying desperately to find her scent. A whine echoed through his throat when he couldn't find one, and he sat heavily on his haunches. 

He looked up to see the man his friend was with in the doorway, looking ragged and dirty. Takumi whined as his ears lowered in shame. He couldn't protect his friend, and now she was gone.