(28) A Storm of Snow and Shadow

"An eye for an eye will only make the whole world blind

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

"An eye for an eye will only make the whole world blind."

-Mahatma Gandhi

The power that coursed through Adira's veins was the only thing that kept her together

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

The power that coursed through Adira's veins was the only thing that kept her together. The warmth of Ryder's kiss had gone cold on her lips, but the immunity he had transferred to her was still swimming through her, reaching her fingertips, her toes, until the magic was completely a part of her.

The world around her had gone silent.

Glancing around at her friends, she witnessed the anguish on their faces. Colson barreled forward, tears streaking his face as he screamed a scream that she couldn't hear. Taliyah wailed, Obsidian roared, Wren sobbed, but not a sound reached her ears.

It was as if she was cut off from the world, like she wasn't even there. She stood there, still and silent, detached from her body.

The second Ryder's neck snapped and she watched him fall to the ground, every part of her was paralyzed. She couldn't cry, she couldn't scream, she couldn't do anything except stand there like a useless doll.

Then suddenly, the world came back into focus and the most agonizing sound ripped through the air. Marina's cry rang above all the others-shrill, devastated, and completely broken.

Adira flicked her gaze around until she found the ice Wielder collapsed on the ground. The air grew colder with every breath, and she swore the sky got darker.

Looking at Marina closer, she saw the frost that reached up Marina's arms like gloves. Ice crackled on below her, spreading farther and farther across the ground.

"Marina!" Colson yelled, his breath fogging from the temperature that continued to drop. He tripped over himself, trying to reach for her and pull her back onto the kraenite.

But it was too late.

Marina whipped her head around, her eyes glowing the most piercing blue she'd ever seen. Without lifting her hand, a wall of ice formed, blocking Colson from reaching her.