(12) Past, Present, Future

"Look at how a single candle can both defy and define the darkness

"Look at how a single candle can both defy and define the darkness."

-Anne Frank

With one thrash of his arm, Grimm swept the smoke away, the faces of Aeron's Wielders vanishing with it

With one thrash of his arm, Grimm swept the smoke away, the faces of Aeron's Wielders vanishing with it. He pushed both arms in front of him and flipped the table with ease. The ceramic bowls flew off, shattering on the wood floor. The ashes from the burning powders clouded the air around them.

Soren never saw Grimm angry. He had seen him annoyed, frustrated, possibly even on the verge of being angry. But never this.

Grimm turned, sweeping his arm up towards the ceiling. The books from the shelves on the side of the study flew into the air, their covers opening. With his other arm, Grimm grabbed at the air and yanked his hand back, ripping all the pages from the spines of the books.

Soren stepped back to the wall closest to him as the debris spiraled around Grimm in an angry tornado. The doors to the study burst open and Lacoria entered the study, her eyes wide, her blue-black hair blowing in the storm Grimm had created.

Grimm turned, facing the two of them, and lowered his arms. The books fell to the ground, their torn pages drifting down like feathers. His shoulders rose up and down, his breaths heavy as he clenched his jaw.

The silence was too much, too awkward after the temper tantrum Soren had just witnessed. He knew he shouldn't ask-he should keep his mouth shut-but he had to know. Something inside of him was changing. He had to know if the girl was in danger.

"Grimm," he said, trying to keep his voice unfazed. "What is-"

"That girl," Grimm seethed, cutting Soren off. "That girl isn't even supposed to exist!"

"What girl?" Lacoria asked. She glanced at Soren. "What happened?"

"Keep your nose where it belongs." Grimm growled at her. "Go to my chambers. Grab the Book of Time from the display case and bring it back here for Soren. On your way back, also grab our prisoners and our new friend, Titan."