(18) The Eye Comes Calling

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."

-Eleanor Roosevelt

Adira was getting used to the loud buzz of the cell doors

Adira was getting used to the loud buzz of the cell doors. The sound no longer made her shrivel back into the dark corners of her new home. Instead, she stood at the bars, waiting for them to slide open.

Ryder met her out in the corridor, his wheat-colored hair wild on his head. His eyes sparkled when they met Adira's making her cheeks flush with color. They had stayed up the rest of the night whispering through the bars of their cells of their pasts and pointless hopes for their futures. She learned all about his headstrong sister, Marina, who Ryder prayed to the Stars wasn't making any stupid decisions. He hoped their friend Colson was taking care of her, but he wasn't too sure after he had separated himself from them.

Adira was thankful Ryder had woken her from her dream the night before. It wasn't a nightmare, but every time afterwards, she was left with this pit in her stomach. The dreams felt too real, like they actually happened.

Soren's face rarely left her mind during the days after. There was something about him that drew her to him, something broken inside of him that longed to be fixed. Who was he? And why was he in her dreams?

You keep seeing me because I want you to see me.

Adira couldn't help but think there was a deeper meaning to those words than she thought. She was beginning to believe that he wasn't just a dream – that somewhere out in the vast world of Evaros, he was there dreaming along with her.

"Sleep well?" Ryder asked, pulling her out of her thoughts. A smile tugged at his lips.

"Real funny," Adira answered, glaring at him from under her brow.

Ryder chuckled, then sighed, his face becoming more serious. "Listen," he began. "Thanks for listening last night. I actually feel better getting all of that off my chest. But I feel like an ass because I didn't give you a chance to say too much."