(13) Holders of Power

"Power resides only where men believe it resides

"Power resides only where men believe it resides."

-George R.R. Martin

It was during breakfast that they came for her

Adira was picking at the rubbery eggs on her tray while listening to Obsidian and Taliyah bicker over their last match against each other.

"If you would stay in one spot," Obsidian argued. "Then the match would end in seconds. But no, you jump around like a damn grasshopper."

"Um, what am I supposed to do?" Taliyah retorted. "Just stand there and let you ensnare me with your shadow wisps? I don't think so."

"Just once. You have to let me win just once. I'm becoming the joke of the Pits."

"Then learn how to use your power. I'm not about to make myself look weak in front of all those people."

"Some friend you are."

"Tough love."

Adira was shaking her head, laughing at them, when she felt a hand on her shoulder. The hand didn't belong. It wasn't a friendly touch—one that made her curious as to who wanted her attention. Fingers dug into her skin, forcing her to turn around.

Silence hung in the air like the suspended moment before glass shatters on the ground. It was a gaping void, gnawing at her insides. It lingered there, thick and heavy, like a blanket as her eyes connected with Jag. From his hateful glare, Adira guessed that he very much wanted to take his fingers and wrap them around her neck.

Jag's nose was swollen from where Adira had hit him, purple and blue bruising spreading down under his eyes. His mouth popped open. His lips curled into a snarl before he snapped it shut again. He swallowed, taking a deep breath before speaking.

"They're ready for you." His voice echoed, bouncing off of the black walls.

Everyone watched Adira as she slowly rose from her seat on the bench. She locked gazes with different sets of Wielders, making a silent connection with them from just a glance. Obsidian and Taliyah looked at her, their eyes filled with sadness.