(11) The Den

"We always see our worst selves

"We always see our worst selves. Our most vulnerable selves. 

We need someone else to get close enough to tell us we're wrong. Someone we trust."   

-David Leviathon

"Are you sure this is where the Den is at?" Marina asked as she gazed at the surrounding warehouses

"Are you sure this is where the Den is at?" Marina asked as she gazed at the surrounding warehouses. Night fell by the time they made it to the district, the breeze growing colder and stinging her cheeks as they walked through the rows of short, squat buildings.

Colson stopped in front of a rust-splotched warehouse, its white bricks fading into a dull gray. The building was the last in the row, the kraenite wall on the other side, reaching for the stars. The waves of the Arys Sea reached Marina's ears, nostalgia sweeping through her.

The sea. The beauty of it.

Her last memory of the sea was watching the last boat skimming over the waves, escaping Acadia. The desire to see Arys again ached through her bones. She needed to see it again, but the Wall stamped out the possibility of that ever happening.

"Would you not say that so loud?" Colson asked, glancing around, making sure no one heard her.

"Oh, please," Marina replied, rolling her eyes at him. "There's no one out here. Plus, if the Authorities haven't found this place by now, they're dumber than I thought. It's so obvious, it might as well have a sign lit up."

"Ha," Colson said, knocking his knuckles on the front door. "Did I ever tell you that you're hilarious?"

"No. You were never around for that."

Colson's smile fell, his hand falling limp to his side. He cleared his throat, his gaze shifting nervously.

"Do we need to talk about this?" Colson asked, his eyes flicking everywhere except towards Marina.

The door opened, cutting their conversation short. Marina was relieved. She couldn't stop herself from digging at Colson, but she didn't exactly want to have a pow-wow about their past either. Not until she was ready.