(19) Revelations

"Fiction reveals truth that reality obscures

"Fiction reveals truth that reality obscures."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

"How can you be immune to kraentie?" Adira asked the one question most prominent among the thousands that popped into her mind

"How should I know?" Ryder asked back, shrugging his shoulders.

"Maybe we are evolving," Taliyah chimed in. Her eyes were bright and flicked around the room, waiting for someone to agree with her, but everyone stayed silent. "Think about it. Our powers have evolved since the old times, so who is to say that we can't evolve against the damned element?"

"Maybe you're blessed!" Wren squealed. Her golden-red ringlets danced as she bounced on the bed, making her hair seem alive.

"Blessed?" Obsidian asked, inching closer to her. "What do you mean?"

"Blessed by the Stars, of course, you silly boy." Her smile faltered as she gazed around the room, realizing that none of them knew what she was talking about. "Oh, you poor, poor children."

Adira almost couldn't keep her laugh at bay. Wren couldn't be any older than them, yet called them children. Her quirkiness was endearing, and Adira noticed that she wasn't the only one who was drawn to her bubbly personality. Obsidian was sitting next to Wren on her bed now.

"You have been deprived," Wren continued, her voice soft and soothing like she was talking to wounded animals. "The stories of the Blessed were always my favorite in the Book of Time. I can't believe you haven't read them!"

"The Book of Time isn't exactly accessible, you know," Adira replied. "The Council had them all burned, remember?"

"Not all of them, apparently," Taliyah mumbled.

"I am one of the Blessed," Wren informed, her voice filled with pride. "All Wielders gifted with the Eye are Blessed. It's such an honor to be chosen by the Stars and be given a single ability that has the power to change the most dire of circumstances. We are given the unique powers for a specific cause, but sometimes the reason doesn't present itself until the time comes. Most of the time, it ends in a great sacrifice or death."