(3) Whisper in the Wind

"Cause they will run you down, down 'til you crawl

"Cause they will run you down, down 'til you crawl."

-Kaleo

Adira pulled her blanket tight around her as she stood at the edge of the rooftop, on the outskirts of Acadia

Adira pulled her blanket tight around her as she stood at the edge of the rooftop, on the outskirts of Acadia. From her perch, the city spread below her, filling her vision with its grandeur. It never ceased to amaze her when she stood there taking it all in, breathing in the fresh air. Up there, she was free.

Tall slender buildings of different sizes were scattered among each other, reaching for the sky. The morning sun reflected off their silver windows, beams slicing through the fog that drifted between the buildings. Whispers of peace that blew through the air when the city woke up was what made Adira want to stay there forever.

The crisp first wind of autumn blew through her long chocolate-colored hair. Behind her, she could hear the the Arys Sea, its waves hurtled over each other in a battle she would never see again. The Council had finished building the city's wall five years ago, its surface slick and metallic. The dark halo surrounding the island was a stark contrast to the glowing white city trapped inside of it. Wielders weren't the only ones who were kept inside—Adira was kept inside too.

The world away from the large island of Acadia had grown dark. The Council said that the Mainland had succumbed to darkness, that Wielders had taken control, leaving destruction in their wake. Acadia had closed itself off from the rest of the world to its citizens.

But there were the whispers.

The whispers of power, stone, and magic. The murmurs of a shaded story, a mystery yet to reveal itself.

Adira took one long last look at the sky, bidding the painted sunrise farewell until spring. With one step backwards, she returned to reality, already missing the freedom on her edge of the rooftop.

The rooftop had been her home during the months of spring and summer, when the weather would allow it. Over the years, she had built a canopy to shield her from spring rain and the bright summer sun. Leaving her slice of paradise always tore at her heart.