52| Back To Business

Start from the beginning

"Alright then. Any idea of how close you are to deciding on a lead single? Any potential from the three you've recorded?"

"Nope."

Harrison sighed, smiling. "You girls have to give me something to work with, please."

I cleared my throat, opting to speak up. "Look, Harrison, you're cool and all that. And I respect that you're just trying to reassure Mr. Bellamy on our behalf, but you're just going to have to trust us when we say we've got this. You, just like Mr. Bellamy, and everybody else will just have to wait. Perfection takes time, so the album will be finished when we feel it's perfect. Glad you like the snippet you've snuck and peeped out though."

He sighed, nodding his head. "You know, I don't know you girls as well as I feel I should, but I must say that I respect you all a great deal. I'm going to get going, but if you need anything, I'm just a call away."

We nodded and I got up to lock the studio door once he left, not wanting anyone else to bust in on us announced. "Is he gone?"

I looked back at Troy and nodded. "Yeah."

"Good. Turn the real song back on and let's get back to work." I cackled, caught completely off guard.

"Wait, that wasn't for us?"

She shook her head. "Girl, you don't know how sneaky Mr. Bellamy is. Harrison ain't come here to check on us. I mean, he's nice and would come to make sure we're alright, but he unintentionally admits stuff when he's pressed enough. I had to have something for him to say he heard." Troy cleared her throat, tossing Ava a notebook. "And how did you not notice that was from the other night when we were clowning, singing random lyrics?"

"Because, you done put that shit together and made a real song. I figured that's one that won't feature me." I shrugged, taking my seat before I kicked my legs up on the far end of the mixing console.

"One that won't feature you? Trick, we all singing on everything. Ava, it's your turn."

Ava stood up in the corner she'd been camped out in for the majority of the evening. "Which song are we working on now?"

"Umm, the one about regrets." Troy placed her hand on her hip, looking between me, Ava, and Torii. "Do we still not have a title for that, because it's definitely going on the album. Depending on how it comes out, I feel like it could be single worthy too."

Torii yawned, speaking up a moment later as she stretched out on the couch we'd had one of the building's janitors pull in for us. "I was thinking 'Regrets', or 'Regretful'. 'Heart Full Of Regrets' stuck with me too because of one specific line."

"Well, Ava, it's your lead. Which title do you think works best?"

Ava looked at Troy. "You're asking me?"

"Yeah. Look, we got our issues, but just like I told Mr. Bellamy, this is OUR group. It's OUR album, and if WE'VE got the balls to take it on by ourselves, we've all got to have our input. I'm petty, but not enough to leave you out or force you to do something you're not comfortable with. Now which title do you think fits the song you're going to lead. I need to know so I can tweak the background with this idea I have floating."

"Heart Full of Regrets."

Troy smiled, nodding her head as she turned and put the instrumental on. It was dark, real melancholy, but beautiful at the same time. "I hear the piano, but what other instruments are there?"

Troy shook her head. "That's it. I was thinking about a horn or a violin, but none of us can play. I figured, if we put this on a set list, she could sing acapella or I could accompany her now that I know how to play the piano a little bit. Marliss played this, but it won't be hard for me to learn and memorize."