Prologue

"And the winner of the race is..."

She grips her daughters hand in anticipation of the results. Even though she is famous for winning, she still gets that nervous, anxious feeling whenever the results are being tallied.

It's a three part race, they are announcing the results for the winner overall.

"Grace!" The crowd erupts in applause. "Once again Grace is the rhyhorn race winner! Congratulations! Please come to the judges table to claim your prize money."

Grace jumps up and squeals. "Nice Mom! Can we go out for pizza after?" Serena asks after a hug.

Her mother feeds a pokepuff to her rhyhorn and returns him back to his pokeball. They begin to walk to the judges table. "Of course Honey, let's go get our money." She steals the hat off Serena's head and ruffles her hair affectionately.

"I never thought I would like pizza with ranch." Serena smiles, happy to be spending time with her mom. as they're walking back home in the dark, they crack jokes and act like friends rather than mother and daughter.

"Me neither." Grace laughs.

Serena smells something. It smells like something is burning. "Mom do you smell that?" She asks and they both slow down and sniff the air. The house is just around the corner.

Grace's eyes widen in realization and it takes Serena a second to catch on but after a moment she is dashing after her mother towards the house.

They come to a screeching halt in front of the gate. "Oh no!" Serena's eyes begin to water and she hears the reassuring sirens of the fire trucks. She can also hear trainers releasing their water pokemon to help.

Grace bolts into the house. "Mom!" Serena shouts after her and follows her in.

"Serena! Stay outside!" She yells over the commotion attempting to knock down the door.

"No mom! Where is Dad?!" Serena begins to ram the door with her shoulder along side her mom.

Grace stops for a second and motions Serena to back away. She jumps towards the door with her foot outstretched and kicks the door down. "He was inside sleeping!"

Serena's mother maneuvers her way around the broken door and into the flaming house. Serena falls to the ground on her knees, beginning to sob uncontrollably. Someone picks her up and takes her away from the fire. "No!!" She shouts kicking and screaming against what she now realizes is a machamp.

The pokemon sets her down beside the gate and an eevee snuggles up to her side to comfort her. Soon enough at least five other pokemon are attempting to console her tears.

Grace comes out of the house coughing and with a backpack on. her hands are slightly charred. Serena perks up at the sight of her. "Where is dad?" She asks anxiously.

"Serena, we need to go. We need to leave now." She yanks Serena up and drags her down the road. They leave their neighbors to cater to the burning house. They begin to run at full speed into a forested area.

They stop suddenly to catch their breath. "Mom where are we going?" Serena cries. Grace pulls out a pokeball and an Altaria appears. She places Serena atop to cloud pokemon and gets on behind her.

"Altaria, Serena, we are going to Kalos."

~~~