Chapter 26: Grow A Pair

Start from the beginning

"Wha- Me? Really? He doesn't know me."

"But he has heard of you, Mr. Williams and you are practically his role model."

He looked at me, stunned. I placed my hand over his across the table, smiling. "Your dad would be proud of you." I saw the gratitude that showed in his eyes the moment I said those words. I knew how much and how deeply he missed his dad.

Liam cleared his throat, uncomfortable by the depths the conversation went to. "Er, so, he plays?"

I pulled away from Logan and settled back into my chair. "Yes, he is a running back."

"Wait, where does he go to school?" Jere asked.

"A town over though I don't know which one."

A grin spread over Tony's face. "You do know that we'll probably play against his team some time, right?"

Oh shit.

\\\\\

"Fucking shit!" Ryan yanked his helmet off and threw it with all his might to the ground as he walked away.

I sighed with my head in my hands. We'll lose if we keep going like this, I thought as the coach called me over after half time was announced. I passed one of the boys and handed him a bottle of water as I trudged to the coach. Today was worse than last week. And I had no idea how that was even possible. Because we had sucked big time last week, but tonight our chances seemed even slimmer than last Friday. "Sir?"

"Follow me," he demanded, his own anger and frustration lacing his words. I didn't blame him instead I only did what I was told. The whole team was already gathered in the locker room when we entered. Anger radiated off of them and wandered through the room, settling like a thick blanket onto my shoulders. The team was a mess. They were yelling at each other, throwing one insult after another, provoking to throw punches.

"Oh no," I muttered.

"Alright. Everyone shut up!" The coach's words silenced them. He looked around for a second, frowning. "Where the hell is Johnson?!"

"I think he went back outside." Someone answered him.

"Then someone should go find him! Don!"

"Yes, coach." He was about to go when I intervened.

"It's okay. Let me," I said to the coach.

"You sure? He is angry and when Ryan is angry you don't want to deal with him."

"I got it," I promised. "Just start talking some sense into them." And with that I left.

It didn't take me long to find him. He was cursing while he paced back and forth along the wall, occasionally throwing punches. I slowly stepped closer to him. He was pissed beyond repair and I could only hope for strength to calm him down. "Ryan?" I said softly. He didn't seem to hear me. "Ryan!" I called out again. He looked my way and stopped pacing for a second. "You need to calm down, okay? We still have time to win." He snorted. "We both know it will be hard, but-"

"Hard," he snorted. "God, Bee," he stepped close to me. So close his breath was fanning my cheek. "We both know we will lose if they don't get their shit together!"

"Then be a good team captain and help them. Yell at them, punch them, I don't know, do what you think will get their right minds back," I offered. He ran a hand through his hair. "The coach is trying to get them back on track, but you might be able to reach them faster. You know how they feel, because you are one of them."

He traced his lower lip with his thumb and index finger, thinking. Suddenly his head jerked up and he was looking into my eyes again. His breathing was evening out and the fire in his eyes had dimmed down to some extend. "You have to talk to them too."