Chapter Seven - 'the idea of befriending a fish'

[Picture of the 39 clues characters]

...................

Looking around, Percy spotted a drinking fountain. It was small, but it would do the job. He concentrated and thought about the water gurgling inside the fountain. He made a strong arc in the air, as if making an invisible rainbow. The water shot out the drinking fountain, with a fizz sound, and followed the arc of his hands, which was directed at the Vesper. The cool water slammed into the monster’s face and drenched his clothes. The monster gasped and struggled to breathe as the water kept soaking his head. He heard Sinead cry, “Oh my god!”

The Vesper pushed the water away from his eyes, but when that didn’t work he ran around desperately. He water followed him.

Amy and Sinead watched with wide eyes, like they couldn’t grasp what was happening. Dan whimpered in pain, but didn’t seem surprised by what was going on. Considering he had strong poison running through his body, he probably thought he was hallucinating.

“Um,” Amy said, watching the monster trying to slap the water away. Amy recovered from her momentary shock. She figured this could be discussed later. “You need to stop. Stop the water!”

Percy wasn’t sure why he listened to her, but he reckoned the monster had suffocated enough. The monster drew in a massive breath. He coughed out the water and rubbed his eyes. He then fell to his knees trying to catch his breath.

Percy turned to Amy. “What is it?” he asked.

“We need him to recover Dan.” She said, like she couldn’t imagine Percy could be so stupid.

“Oh, right.” Percy said. He looked at the dart gun in his hand and back at the monster. He placed his sword under the Vesper’s chin. “Tell me the cure.”

The Vesper looked tired from having the water attack him. “Kobalos.” He said. Percy scrunched his eyebrows.

“Excuse me?”

Kobalos. That’s what I am.” The monster said. Percy was even more confused. Kobalos. He’d heard about them. But Kobaloi weren’t supposed to be like this guy was. They were supposed to be mischievous sprites.

“Uh,” Percy managed. “Aren’t you supposed to be little fairy elves?”

The Kobalos glared at him. “Don’t mention the elves! I’ve heard it enough.” Okay, so this vicious man who survived a sword fight with Percy, shot him and Dan with a poisonous dart gun and apparently encountered Amy and Dan before – was actually a fairy.

At least it explained why he reminded him of Dionysus. Kobaloi were companions of Dionysus. According to one myth, they could actually shape shift into Dionysus. He hoped that wasn’t true. One Dionysus was more than enough.

Sinead cleared her throat. “As much as I’d like to hear you guys be weird and totally not make sense, Dan has only got about ten minutes to live.”

Percy put any image of little elves out of his mind and pressed his sword slightly more into the Kobalos chin. “The antidote. Now.”

The monster smiled. “Percy Jackson. Son of Poseidon. Can’t kill me now, can you?”

“You know what? I think I’ll hand you over to Dionysus after we’re done here.” Percy said. He hoped that the Kobalos was scared of his camp director. The monster’s whirlpool eyes widened.

“No, don’t! He told me not to give him any trouble!” He pleaded. “If I go back, he’ll turn me into a dolphin! I really hate dolphins!”

“Percy.” Amy warned. “I want you both to stop talking nonsense and cure Dan or I’m calling the ambulance.”