Chapter Three - 'Cahill. Ring any bells?'

[Picture of Dan]

***

Camp Half Blood – Earlier this morning

On their way to the Big House, Percy had suddenly stopped and stood as if he’d gotten his shoes stuck to the ground. Annabeth looked at him with confusion. 

“What’s wrong?” She asked him. 

“I don’t think we should tell Chiron and particularly not Mr D.” Percy announced. Annabeth looked at him expressionlessly. 

“There’s something you forgot to tell me?” Annabeth guessed. Percy nodded and sighed. 

“I wasn’t supposed to tell anyone.” He admitted. “Whoever had contacted me had said that ‘it would not end well’. I’ve already risked telling you. I don’t think we should tell Chiron.” 

“But Percy we can’t just leave camp and go rescue people and fight some monster. People would definitely notice. It was stupid of you to tell me, but I’m glad you did.” Annabeth said. 

“You’d probably kick me if you I didn’t.” Percy said, scratching the back of his head. “Well what should we do then?” 

Annabeth thought hard. Whatever she was thinking, she didn’t like it. 

“We could easily ask one of Grover’s nature spirits to check on that area or someone else.” She said. Then she sighed when she saw Percy’s reaction. “But knowing you, you’d want to go there yourself. Alright what if one of us went, and then whoever stayed at camp could cover for the other. It would be less suspicious that way.” 

Percy frowned. He didn’t like the idea of Annabeth going to Attleboro by herself. Sure, she was a fierce fighter and insanely wise, being the daughter of Athena, she could survive anything. But he still didn’t like the idea. 

Before Percy could say anything, Annabeth said, “You got the call, Percy. You should go. I’ll cover for you.” 

Percy wanted to protest, but Annabeth spoke again, “I know your missing presence will cause some discussion, but trust me, I’ll convince them. No offence, but if you stayed I don’t think you’d come up with a clever enough reason. And like I said before, the call was sent to you. Whether it is a trap or not, you need to go.” 

 “But–“ 

“As much as I don’t like it, Percy, especially after the war, but this could be important. You should go.” Annabeth stated with a frown. 

Percy slumped his shoulders. He’d lost the argument even before he’d begun. 

“Fine. I’ll take Blackjack.” Percy said. 

“Attleboro’s around 3 to 4 hours away.” Annabeth provided. “Good luck, Seaweed Brain.” 

Percy looked as though he wanted to argue, but thought against it. He kissed Annabeth, and then walked to the stables. This early in the morning, thankfully not many people were outside their cabins. Making sure no one saw him, Percy crept into the stable. Blackjack was still sleeping. Percy nudged him, but he didn’t wake. 

“Doughnuts!” Percy tried. “Loads and loads of doughnuts!”

Blackjack jolted awake. Doughnuts! Boss? You got me doughnuts? Blackjack asked hopefully. 

“Not now, Blackjack. We’ve got to go to Attleboro. But on the way back, I’ll buy you doughnuts.” Percy promised. Blackjack neighed, complaining. 

Come on boss. You’ve gotta have just one doughnut. 

Percy shook his head, and led Blackjack out of the stables. He hopped onto his back, and soon enough, they were flying above Long Island and out of sight.