Chapter Four - 'What kind of technology is this?'

Again, if you find any of this confusing, please don't be afraid to let me know. [Picture of Percy and Blackjack]. Also, WATCH THE VIDEO. Please. 

<><><>

"I knew that Jackson guy wasn't a Vesper." Dan announced. "I mean, do you know any Vesper that owns a poodle?"

"You knew?" Amy protested. "You were the one who thought he was a Vesper. I told you he was too young."

"Well where are the real Vespers then, eh?" Dan argued. Amy walked away briskly, Dan following close by. She wanted to distance herself from Percy and the restaurant. There was something not right about him.

Suddenly Amy stopped and grabbed Dan's arm. "Dan!"

"Ow!"

"What if this was a set up to get us away from the house?" Amy said with panic. "Nellie, Fiske and Sinead! They might be in danger! Oh, what if Evan came around?"

Dan realised that his sister was right. The Vespers hadn't shown up; that could only mean two things 1) that they forgotten about the siblings that they were supposed to consult or 2) it was a set up. The second one was more likely. Amy had thrown away the shopping-list-that-was-shoved-inside-an-envelope and was desperately digging through Dan's backpack.

She pulled out a cell phone and dialled in Sinead's number. The phone took a dreadfully long time to reach. Amy was breathing very fast. Dan noticed that he was holding in his breath. Finally, someone picked up.

The first thing Amy heard was 'Mrrrrp'

"S-Saladin?" she asked nervously, like she expected the Egyptian Mau to answer. "Where's Sinead?" This is the point where my sister Amy loses her mind and starts talking to cats, Dan thought.

Amy heard some shuffling and a voice at the other side of the call.

"Sinead?" Amy was literally yelling. When someone replied, Dan saw Amy visibly relax. That only meant that they were safe. He let out his breath. Amy spoke for longer than necessary asking for everyone's whereabouts, probably scaring poor Sinead.

After a while, Amy tensed up again, and ended the call, looking just as terrified as she had at the beginning of the call.

"Amy?" Dan asked. "What is it? Everyone's there?"

Amy shook her head. "Everyone's there...except for Sinead."

◊◊◊

Blackjack had flown off somewhere. Percy walked aimlessly. He was starting to feel that this whole call was a big joke. His sword was back to pen form. He still debated whether he should go after Amy and Dan or not. They didn't act like monsters at all, but Percy decided he wasn't staying here any longer whatever the case.

He was about to call for Blackjack when he spotted Amy and Dan turn a corner. They looked to be in a hurry. His instinct told him to follow them. It's worth a look, he thought, and sprinted after them. An overexcited crowd of teenagers walked in front of Percy, causing him to momentarily lose sight of the Cahills. He pushed past the people, but the Cahills were gone. Just like that.

They weren't near the cars in the parking. Nor were they hidden amongst any crowds of people. On the ground, Percy spotted a letter. Suspiciously like the one that Amy had held. It had nothing written on it. On the inside, was a list of grocery items. Before he could decide anything of it, he heard Amy. Carefully, Percy followed the sound. Dan and Amy stood under a tree. Amy was speaking on her phone. When she was finished, she looked at Dan with terror. Percy spied on them, waiting for the right moment to come out - even though he was now less sure that they were monsters, he had an unsettling feeling about them. Like when you left something unfinished.