Chapter Five - 'Like sardines in the sea'

[Picture of Amy that I drew] Also, please watch the video. :D

<><><>

The man, who was now supposedly a Vesper, reminded Percy of Mr D back at camp. He wasn’t sure why though. The Vesper looked nothing like Dionysus. In fact, Percy couldn’t think of anything that related him to Mr D. But something about him definitely said ‘Dionysus’.  His dark eyes held little whirlpools; Percy was sure of that. Maybe it was a Vesper thing to have swirls in your eyes.

I bet if Annabeth were here she’d be able to tell me what a Vesper was, he thought. Percy doubted that Amy and Dan would listen to him.

Amy locked eyes with Dan. Percy could tell that they had come to an understanding. Perhaps they finally understood that Percy didn’t do anything wrong. The man had a weird aura around him; like he’d much rather be torturing small children than be here. His serious face had changed to a lazy one.

Sinead looked confused. “What’s a Vesper?” Percy heard her whisper to Amy. Percy was thankful that he wasn’t the only one who didn’t know who they were. Amy whispered something back to Sinead, who looked more confused than before.

The man let out a yawn, as if he was tired of waiting for something to happen. That’s when Percy noticed that the Vesper gave off a smell. A smell that he’d encountered many times. Monster. The swirls in his eyes were definitely not mortal.

* * *

Amy had completely forgotten that Sinead hadn’t known. The explanation would have to wait. She stood tensely as she watched the Vesper. He looked bored. Then, he reached to a pocket in his trousers. Slowly, he began to pull something out. It looked like a small dart gun.

Percy was scowling at the man. Maybe Percy wanted to kill them differently and not with a dart gun. He uncapped his pen. Was the pen filled with poison?

The weirdest thing happened next. For a split second, it looked like the Vesper was actually afraid of the pen. Then he smiled wickedly and pointed the dart gun at Percy. Dan looked at Amy with large eyes. The Vespers were fighting among each other! This could be the perfect change to escape.

Percy was saying something to the man, but Amy was too excited to listen. Together, Dan and Amy took either side of Sinead’s arm and ran. They had no idea where they were going but Amy figured that getting away from the mad men was probably the best idea.

“What’s going on?” Sinead yelled, running wildly.

“Tell you later.” Dan called back. “Just run!”

Amy heard the Vesper screaming at them. As they ran past the streets, people stared at them. Amy dared to look over her shoulder. The Vesper was running closely behind them, his curly brown hair bouncing madly. Percy was no-where to be seen.

Dan slowed down. A crowd of people was blocking their way ahead. There was some sort of venue going on in one of the streets and people were eager to get there. The siblings and Sinead pushed their way through, but the crowd was bigger than they’d expected. Soon, Amy lost sight of Dan. She breathed heavily. Crowds were not her thing. There were too many people.

“Calm down Amy.” Sinead said. “I think we’ll lose those guys quicker if we split up. Like sardines in the sea.”

Amy nodded. After all their trips around the world, and all those times she’d escaped death, something as simple as crowds still scared her. Sometimes, she couldn’t figure herself out. Amy allowed the crowd to drag her away from Sinead. Trying to look like she had somewhere to be, she followed the crowd, keeping her head to the floor, hoping her hair shielded her face. Occasionally, she would look up to see if the Vespers, or Dan and Sinead were close by but neither one of them would be there. After a minute of walking around, the crowd started to slow down. She lifted her head to see what was going on, but the sea of heads covered her view.