Chapter Two - 'a remarkably large black poodle'

Please don't hesitate to point out any mistakes at all or comment. I'm not going to get upset at criticism.

[Picture of 39 clues logo at the side]

***

Camp Half Blood

Percy Jackson had woken up in the morning with Attleboro in mind. He’d headed to the Athena cabin earlier in the morning than usual. Thankfully, most of the campers in that cabin were already awake, hustling about; some were cleaning for today’s cabin inspection, some working on projects, some reading Ancient Greek books and a few that were still sleep. Annabeth sat on her bed, sheets of paper spread around her in a pattern. She had the Daedalus’ laptop in her arms, intently working on something.

“Hey,” she said when she finally noticed Percy.

Percy loved how she was always persistent with things, and he admired her intelligence. He would never have been able to fight half the monsters if she had not been there.  They had shared a lot of history. She’d saved his life right from when they first met. Literally. Percy had been ill from fighting the Minotaur. Annabeth had looked after him, feeding him nectar and ambrosia until he felt well enough. She was the reason he existed.

That was the reason Percy had decided to tell her about the iris message from last night even though he wasn’t supposed to. The voice had yet again whispered to him in his dreams last night. The voice was neither warm and loving or cold and chilling. In fact, Percy could never seem to remember what it sounded like. It had told him to keep the monster attack a secret; if he told anyone, it would not end well.

But of course, Percy ignored that. He had to tell Annabeth. She was his girlfriend. He wouldn’t keep anything from her. And he would certainly not just leave camp and head to Attleboro. The camp – and especially Annabeth – was bound to notice his disappearance.  

As Percy sat down next to Annabeth, he made the mistake of asking her what she was doing. After all these years, you’d think that Percy would understand her vocabulary. Annabeth was in the process of explaining something about how the architecture of Olympus was going to look like. Percy stared at her blankly, not keeping up. Annabeth held a small smile on her lips, as if she knew that Percy didn’t understand anything but still went on explaining.

At long last, Percy laughed.

“Alright,” he said, still laughing slightly. “I understand. The designs for Olympus are going to be awesome.”

Annabeth looked back at her laptop, smiling, as if thinking ‘He’ll never understand these things will he?’ She seemed to be in a good mood today, Percy noted.

“Yes. But…” She said, implying that Percy had something else to say.

“But what?” Percy asked.

“You came here to see me right? You have something to say to me.” Annabeth said.

Percy shook his head, amazed.

“How do you do that?” he asked. “You always seem to know what’s on my mind.”

“I know you well Percy.” She smiled faintly. “So? Are you going to tell me?”

“It’s not good.” Percy said, putting on a serious face. “There’s been a monster attack at Attleboro. Someone sent me an iris message last night. They didn’t necessarily say that I had to go there. All they said was that there was a monster attack.”

Annabeth frowned.

“It could be trap. There are a lot of people who want to kill you Percy.” She said. “It might not even be real.”