Laurance's Birthday- One Final Event

Laurance

Do you know that feeling you get when a very important day, let's say your birthday, is coming to an end and you want to do something really special to end it? The grand finale, the conclusion, the last but certainly not the least?

Yeah. It's been on my mind since, well, a few minutes ago...which was when I realized my birthday won't last for much longer.

It was a quarter to ten after all.

My train of thought was interrupted when Dante, Travis, and Garroth caught my eye. They were seperated from the rest of the group, gathered in a circle, and seemed to be fumbling around with something.

They also kept peering behind them at me, trying to be subtle about it. I smiled at myself, wondering what the heck they could be doing.

After a while they started to approach me with Garroth holding a rather large, flat, rectangle-shaped present in his hand. I looked around obliviously, pretending that I didn't see them coming.

"Hey Laurance?" Dante says, striking up a conversation.

"Hmm? Watcha got there for me? Another present?"

"Well yeah actually. "

"Go figure." I say, shrugging.

Garroth looked at Travis and Dante as he reached his hand out, and gestured me to take the small but rather meaningful gift, if it was from all of them.

I carefully took off the wrapping and found my laptop wrapped inside. My laptop? Why would they give me something like this? Is this just some prank?

I looked at the boys to see what they say about this, but they just smiled slyly and snickered a bit. Judging from there reactions, this wasn't some mistake. If the present isn't what it is on the outside, maybe it's something inside.

I turned on my laptop not to find my home screen, but a downloaded video game on steam that was titled:

UNDERTALE

Undertale? The video game Dante is obsessed with? I've heard about it from lots of other people, and not one person said they did not like the game. Of course, that interested me, which made me want to play it. Why I've never got it? I don't know.

My train of thought was interrupted when they finally chose to say something.

"Well? Do you like it? It's from all of us."

I responded carefully.

"Of course I like it. You do know I wanted to play it for a while."

"Yeah..." Garroth responds.
"Well, I've heard from Dante and Travis that it's a REALLY good game, and it's a wonderful experience to go through, so I wanted to get it for you and we could maybe...play it together?"

I smiled. So that was his purpose of getting it for me? That's why he bought it for me despite the knowledge that I could buy it myself?

"Thanks Garroth. I'd be glad to play it with you. Let's start tomorrow, okay?"

<>•<>•<>

11:30 P.M.

I rolled over to my side and looked at the dark living room. It was silent. Everyone's asleep. Snoring. Covered in blankets. Snuggled in their sleeping bags.