36. Behind The Curtains

Start from the beginning

"I didn't mean that you're weak. See, you, yourself got into someone's web. Who knows Alisha? He might be a killer or a rapist or someone who kidnaps girls for money, " Gowtham said. His tone was calm yet threatening.

I contemplated about it. I know there is some truth behind what Gowtham said. I took a deep breath to calm myself and said, "Fine. I won't chat with him again." I paused, "He was a good friend to lose." I added in hesitation.

There was a silence at the other end. And then a calm tone said, "Alish, I understand you. You're not someone who trusts others easily. For your sake, I will chat with Ranveer and let you know how good he is. If I feel he is good, you can chat with him."

"Thank you, Gowtham. You're literally the best friend cum best brother anyone could ask for," I appreciated his effort for me.

He chuckled and said, "Anyways, Why the hell Shanta is following me?"

I laughed,"Because she has a never-ending-crush on you." We both laughed and hung up.

My practice turned out to be more heavy than I imagined. It felt good though. My opponent Shreya was a well known boxer. She had won many state level championship. I on the other hand was new to boxing. Just a year of practice and now I am up against her. I felt extremely nervous. I don't want to embarrass myself in front our whole college.

Thinking about these, I gave my final punch to the punching bag. It swing back and froth.

I wanted to talk to someone about the match to clear my confusions. The one who would understand me and my state.

I ended up chatting with Ranveer again. Gowtham had assured me in the afternoon that Ranveer is harmless.

I texted him about the details, but he didn't reply back immediately.

Late at night, I was reading an online book when he replied back.

R- Rosebud, don't be nervous. It happens with every sport. Concentrate on your game plan. Focus on yourself not your opponent's. Most importantly don't listen to the crowd, okay?

I smiled to myself and replied back with an okay. This man has a great knowledge on sports.

We chatted for some more time, and then he suggessted that I needed sleep to be fresh and energetic for the tomorrow's game.

R- Goodnight, Rosebud. 🌹

A- Good night, Veer.

R- Hey! Veer?

A- Nickname yaar.

R- But why Veer?

Why Veer? I asked myself. The answer came out spontaneously.

A - It just felt appropriate to call you by that name, Veer.

R- Yeah, it is appropriate. I love the name anyway.

P. S: All the best for your game, Rosebud.

I smiled myself to sleep. Somewhere inside of my heart, I liked the name Rosebud.

***

I got up early on the next morning. I did my morning practices and finished my chores at time.

Mom, Dad and Gowtham wished me good luck. Even my elder brother who was in Pune for studies had called to wish me luck. I was surprised because we never really shared a good brother-sister bond.

He was mostly out of town due to his studies. And he was an introvert unlike me. He rarely talked to people, but he was close with mom. He was such a mumma boy. I was my daddy's girl. When we were younger, Gowtham and I used to pair up against him. That annoyed him a lot.

One day I overheard him complaining to mom about how Gowtham replaced him as an elder brother in Alisha's life. I felt really bad for him. After that, I tried to show how much I loved him through my actions, but he had became numb to everything. In a short time, he moved to Pune for his studies. That's when I realised how much I missed him.

I called him daily. Atfirst he didn't talk to me much, but by now he was kind of sharing his day to day happenings with me. Like every brother he never complimented me even if I do good. And he was never the one to wish me luck. That's why I was surprised.

"Alisha, stop day dreaming and get ready soon," Mom yelled. I snapped out of my reverie and got ready to the match.

***

"Allu, People are betting that Shreya would beat the light out of you," Nick said as a gesture of giving a pep talk.

I gulped visibly. Before he could continue further, Shanta elbowed him, stopping him in the process.

"Alish, you don't worry yaar. If you win this game, then they will bet on you. You know about our college mates right?" Shanta asked. I wanted to ask her shut up. Because I was feeling extremely nervous and sweaty as minutes trickled away. I was wearing my blue jersey which had the number '12' printed on it. It had my name below it.

Our Coach handed the Head gear and the mouth guard to me. Meanwhile Nick and Shanta gave me assuring smile and left.

I put on every safety guards. There were eight of it.

Before I could contemplate everything, I was standing inside the boxing ring. The referee asked Shreya and I to shook hands. Shreya gave me a twisted smile while gripping my hand tightly. I smirked at her.

The crowd was cheering for Shreya. I took a deep breath to calm myself and I picturised the message Veer had sent earlier.

"Don't be nervous. It happens with every sport. Concentrate on your game plan. Focus on yourself not your opponent's. Most importantly don't listen to the crowd, okay?"

As I recalled it, I breathed in the confidence and breathed out my nervousness. I felt much better now.

I stepped in the inner ring with a sudden volt of confidence. I felt like I could win the game and eventually I did. Not even once I listened to the crowd.

But when I won at the eighth round, punching square on her face, there was a pin drop silence in the crowd. Screw pin drop, you could have heard atom collision.

And then referee's voice boomed like ripples. He counted the number backwards,

5

Shreya struggled to open her eyes.

4

She tried to push her.

3

She winced in pain while placing her hands in the solid.

2

She almost got up. Almost.

1

She gave up.

"And the Winner is Miss. Alisha Sharvan." Commentator's voice filled the auditorium.

Nick and Shanta came rushing towards me and hugged me tightly.

"I did it," I whispered to Nick. He nodded a yes and said, "That's why I won the bet."

It was such an emotional moment in my life. And it was a match I would never forget. It was my debut match and a debut win. I felt honoured. More than anything I felt gratitude towards Veer. For I knew, without him, this wouldn't have been possible.

(Author's Note: Friends, be careful when you interact with strangers. Just because I write these, it doesn't mean I support it. It is strictly for entertaining purpose.)