[1] choices

Riley

It was the first day of sophomore year and I was too excited to put into words. The triangle, or the war as we called it, was still in full swing. Once we thought we'd resolved it, but it all fell back.

I grabbed my brand new, bright pink backpack from the kitchen table, while smoothing the creases of my teal dress. I glanced down at my iPhone, which read 7:23am. Perfect, I thought.

-

I opened the doors of Abigail Adams High School with the biggest smile on my face. I headed over to Lucas, Maya, Farkle, Zay, and Smackle. "Hey guys!" I said, excitedly.

Maya turned to me. "Honey!" and she gave me a hug.

Everyone else welcomed me into to their chatting, and then the bell rang.

Maya huffed, "School, eh."

I grabbed her arm. "Let's go, Maya."

-

School ended and everyone was in a extra happy mood. I spoke up, "Topanga's anyone?"

We all agreed and headed on our way. We always talked there; and we needed to talk.

-

"Guys," I began. "We need to make decisions." I looked at my hands.

The room filled with awkward tension, and Smackle and Zay decided to go seeing this had nothing to do with them. Farkle stayed though, sitting next to me. He could tell I was nervous.

"Go on." Lucas said, telling me to continue.

"We need to choose." I began, "It has been almost two years of this."

Maya looked at Lucas and said, "I agree. Once we tried to step back for the other, and that didn't work." She frowned at Farkle, because of New Years.

Farkle spoke up. "I wanted what was best for Riley, for you all."

Silence filled the room.

Lucas stood up. "The first girl I met was Riley. So, I choose you, Riley."

My heart stops. He chose me?

Farkle put a hand on my leg, "See, just tell the truth. Don't forget, I'm here for you."

I cut him off, "Always."

Lucas grabbed my hand and smiled. "It's always been you, Riley. Hasn't it?"

"Maybe." I spoke softly, looking at Maya. She mouthed to me 'it's okay'.

I smiled and mouthed back 'I love you' and she did the same. Lucas and I walked out of the café hand in hand.

-
Did you like it? Do you think Lucas chose the right girl?