Chapter 13

Chapter 13

     "Cool place,” I muttered, after giving his apartment a minute’s inspection. It wasn’t exactly “cool”, as I’d so offhandedly put it, but it did have a certain “bachelor-pad” feel to it. 

     It was scarcely furnished, a black couch that was pushed against one corner of the room, tilted so that it formed a triangle, an old box TV in front of it, matched with a grey coffee-table and a lamp behind it. To the right of it there was a kitchen, baring only the necessities (oven, fridge, a sink, and a counter). Then there was a door leading to what I was assuming was his bedroom, and another door that lead to a bathroom – again, another assumption.

     The floor was made from a really dark wood, seemingly black until you looked closer and saw the dark brown. It contrasted nicely with the grey walls and the dim lighting.

     The apartment in itself wasn’t really that big, but the lack of furniture made the room seem greater than it actually was.

    “S’not much, but it’s home… I should invest in some paintings or something, though – give the room some more colour,” Will said conversationally.

     “I might be able to help you out with that,” I replied, also in a conversational tone of voice.

     “Yeah? You paint?”

    “Not even if my life depended on it. But my mom does. Or did, I guess. I could see if we have any old paintings lying around the house. Dad hid all in the attic of them after she left.”

     “Sure, great… can I ask something personal?”

     I walked across the room and sat down on his couch, patted the cushion next to me, and said,

     “Oh, why not? Hit me with your best shot?”

    “What went down with your mom?” Immediately my face went sour. He looked at for approximately a millisecond before adding, “Sorry, sorry – too personal.”

     “Yeah, kinda… maybe if you get me drunk enough I’ll spill all my secrets,” I said, raising my eyebrows up and down a couple of times. He laughed at me, and before I knew what I was doing, I said,

    “No, but seriously – do you have any beer?" 

***

      It did take a few minutes of persuasion on my part, but after a while we were both sitting on his couch and drinking.

     “You know what would be fun?” I asked him.

     “What?” he smiled.

    “If we played truth or dare,” and I would like to remind you I’d had about a couple beers – truth or dare seems like an excellent idea then.

     “Hmm… are we five?” he murmured, looking at me with a weird expression.

     “Come on, it’s a not that childish?” I laughed when he put his head on my lap.

     “I’m facing a bit of a dilemma – and the added alcohol isn’t helping.”

    “Oh yeah? What’s you’re dilemma? Maybe I can help.”

     “You’re supposed to be completely honest in truth or dare, correct?” I nodded, and so he continued, “well there are some questions that I would love to ask you, but there are some questions that you might ask me that I’m not allowed to answer.”