in which jikook is still one-sided

you don't get it mom, it's true love even if he throws shoes at me

Jimin yawned and got out of bed, yawning again. He picked out some clothes and brushed his teeth, yawning. He took a bath and even peed yawning. Why on earth did it have to be a school day? Jimin wanted to die in his bed.

Before Jimin went to the kitchen to eat breakfast, he lifted up his shirt and looked at his abs in the mirror, just because.

Today was a quiet day in his family's kitchen. His father had left early for a meeting, which only left his mother and younger brother to eat dinner with.

No one said much during breakfast, though Jimin tried repeatedly to start a conversation with his brother, Jihyun. Even as they walked to school together, Jihyun looked down at his phone the whole time, playing Pokèmon Go like the nerds the two brothers were.

"Jungkookie!" Jimin cried as they approached a familiar blue house on the other side of the street. A tall black haired boy was just leaving the house, clad in a school uniform and lugging a backpack that dangled from one shoulder. He took one look at Jimin and grimaced, but smiled kindly as Jihyun waved to him.

"Come over to this side!" Jimin yelled. Jungkook pretended not to hear and kept walking on his side.

"It's okay, hyung. You'll see him at school anyways," Jihyun said quietly.

"I see him at school every day. It's not special. It's only special if I see him out of school," Jimin complained.

Jihyun shook his head and walked a little faster, not wanting to be seen with his mortifyingly embarrassing brother.

"Put on both your backpack straps, Jungkookie! You'll hurt your back!"

Jungkook shifted his backpack a little, but didn't put on the other strap.

"I tell you every single day! Why don't you listen to me? I just want what's best for you! You'll never become an inventor if your back breaks! Robert Downey Jr. has such good posture, be like him if you like him so much!" Jimin started to ramble.

Jungkook stopped in his tracks and put on his backpack the right way, with both backpack straps, then turned to glare at Jimin darkly.

"Maybe I don't listen to you because you're a creep," he spoke and the proceeded to run along the sidewalk. Jimin looked shaken at first, and then tried to run after Jungkook on his side of the sidewalk. Jihyun stopped him before he could get far by grabbing his sweatshirt and shaking his head. Jimin pouted and tried to struggle free, but Jihyun held him too strongly.

Once Jimin had promised not to run, Jihhyun let him go and walked beside him.

"You'll never get him to like if you keep acting like that, hyung," Jihyun explained.

"I don't know what you mean. I just want to be friends," Jimin countered.

"No, you don't. You've been in love him before I was even born."

"There's no fooling you, darling. But I'm just trying to tell him to be safe. And stand next to me. And talk to me. And maybe we could make out. And then we'd date for, like, a year, and then he'd get on one knee and-"

Jihyun made a disgusted face. "Save it, hyung," he told his older brother.

=

Jimin returned from school, still yawning. He stole a quick glance at Jungkook, who was checking his phone as he walked parallel to him. They never walked home together. They'd been neighbors for years and Jungkook had never treated Jimin more than just trash. Jimin remembered than when Jungkook had first moved in, his heart had fluttered like a thousand million squirrels in heat. It was dumb preschool love, but Jimin thought it was real, and still did.