Chapter 19

"Let's go, Nicole! We don't want to be late! Goodness! Have you ever been in a dress before? What's taking you?" Rosily demands of me.

Tonight is the ball.

Tonight is when I escape.

Tonight, I will be free.

I was in my room getting ready. Rosily was also in my room to 'Make sure I don't make a fool of myself,' as she put it.

Now, I have been in dresses, don't get me wrong, but only when I was required to have it. I never wore dresses just because.

"I'm almost done," I say.

I slip on the last strap on my shoulder.

Stupid dress. It took more than 15 minutes to get it on, so it must work or I will most likely kill myself.

I button up the back of the dress and slip on the shoes that Rosily provided for me. I take a deep breath before I step out to present my dress.

"--but that's how you make it so--Oh!" Rosily stood up from her original position which was sitting on my bed fussing with her hair. She was already dressed in her ball gown. It was the color of a rich, dark green with golden braided accessories. Her hair was braided in an elaborate hairdo that was just stunning. She looked beautiful.

"Oh! Nicole! Oh!" she exclaims. A hand covers her mouth as she looks at me. "Oh, Nicole! You're absolutely stunning! Give it a spin."

I obey and spin several times. The dress is comfortable and loose, not at all tight or constricting. As I spin, the dress almost looks like an umbrella. I could probably do the splits in the dress, but there was no way I was going to do that.

The midsection was tight on my stomach and ribcage. And I made sure to tell the dressmakers to not have a low cut that would expose my breasts like those of a man-hunting noblewoman.

I was very happy with the dress they had made me.

"Come here, I will do your hair. Don't look in the mirror until I'm done," Rosily instructs. I am way out of my league when it came to dresses and hair. "Any requests?" Rosily asks me before I sit down on the nearest armrest for her to do my hair.

My nerves sing to me as I think of what I will be doing tonight. Tension practically cracks in the air around me.

"Something that will keep my hair out of my face," I respond.

She nods and begins teasing my hair.

After several minutes, she speaks again.

"Don't worry, Nicole, there is no reason to be nervous. It's just a ball."

At first I'm confused, then realize that she takes my nervousness from escaping and thinks its from the ball.

I just play along.

"I guess you're right. No need to be nervous. It will be over before I realize it," I say smoothly. I take a deep breath.

"That's the spirit," she pauses. Then: "And finished!" she exclaims as she releases my hair.

I stand up and head for the mirror before Rosily stops me again.

"No, wait! Your jewelry!"

"I don't want jewelry."

"Earrings, necklaces, anklets, bracelets--"

"No, Princess," I say sternly.

She sighs sadly and pouts.