34| Secrets, Rejected Deals, & Sweet Moments

Start from the beginning

"Leave me alone."

He sighed, moving my legs again before he laid next to me, wrapping his arms around me carefully. Marliss looked up at me for a moment, giving puppy dog eyes before I finally gave in, rubbing the back of his head as he gently rested his head against my chest. "Why didn't you want me to read that?"

"Because, it's not good, and you know how I get embarrassed."

"Embarrassed for what though, Troy? It's nobody but me and you, and you know I'd never laugh at or make you feel bad about anything you do. Besides, you were right about something you said in that poem."

"What?"

"I love you, very much. I hope that you really do love me too."

I looked away from him, nodding my head. "You already know that I do. But please, if I don't ask you to, don't read any of my work out loud like that again. Even if it is just me and you."

"Alright, and I'm sorry. But that one was worth getting you mad over. Might be my favorite Troy masterpiece to date."

"Thank you. Now get off me before my daddy comes back thinking you've tried something."

"Hey, that'll be worth getting in trouble over too."

"Just move."

He laughed and got back in his spot before finally giving me my notebook back.

Later that night, the girls were back and we'd settled on playing a game of Monopoly while eating take out from this Greek restaurant around the corner from us. While my sister was eager to fill us all in on how she bumped into Larenz Tate, Ava and I listened intently. But every so often, I would notice that Leann was extra quiet, staring off into space.

This was unlike her, and on top of that, she loved Larenz. The fact that he was anywhere near us, alone, would have got her hype and had her dragging Torii all around Los Angeles trying to bump into him again.

"I swear, I wouldn't have known how to act. You and Troy have all the luck when it comes to bumping into movie stars."

I looked at Ava and shook my head. "I still haven't met Marlon Wayans or Omar Epps, so I don't want to hear anything about luck. Anyway, Monopoly is getting kind of boring. What else do we have around the apartment? What else do we have time for?"

Leann and my sister shrugged, but Ava jumped suddenly. Looking down at her watch, she groaned and jumped up. "Shit, I'm late."

"You're late, you're late, for a very important date. No time to say hello..."

"Goodbye, Troy."

"She's late, she's late, she's late."

"Lord, please get better so that you can stop sitting in this apartment watching Disney movies."

I laughed, sitting back on the couch before I noticed that Ava was really rushing to get her shoes, jacket, keys, and a few other things. "Where are you going?"

"To pick up Sean from the airport."

Leann cleared her throat, speaking with a low and dry tone. "Oh, didn't know he was coming to visit. Usually when you get the chance to see him, you can't stop talking about it."

Ava sighed. "It slipped my mind."

"So I see. I'm sure you two have a lot to talk about."

Ava looked back at all of us and shook her head. "He and I don't talk much, Leann, at least not about anything work or career wise." She sighed. "You know, all the trouble started over his ego and him feeling jealous of the success we found, it was too much so we just don't talk about it. We don't talk about anything regarding me, music, nothing."