Opening Up.

Rupali looks nervous. The tension in the room is so thick that I can cut it with a knife. Adam looks at her, equally unsure about spilling out whatever they have been keeping from us. But I think all of us understand that we are at a point of no return. I already know that they have a secret, and if they don't tell me, I will find out eventually.

Amy looks at me, her eyebrow raised. She is clearly pissed at them, and she has been dead against trusting them again. She hasn't said so out loud, but there are certain things that you pick up about their behavior if you have been best friends with a person for so long.

So basically if these people are the bad guys, and we end up being murdered,its all my fault.

"Rupali." Amy begins, impatiently, "will you tell us already? Because I don't know how long I'll be able to wait with you in front of me and a gun in my hand."

Woahhhh.

Rupali flinches a little, but quickly composes herself.

"You will not need the gun, Amy. I promise."

"You promised us a lot of things, Rupali. And you haven't been particularly good at keeping those, have you?"

Burn!

"I can't explain unless you calm down, Amy. We have done absolutely nothing wrong to get you so riled up."
Rupali replies, not affected even a little by what Amy just said.

"Nothing wrong, huh? Then why in the world is it taking you so much time and effort to tell us who you are?!" Amy retorted, her voice rising notch by notch.

Luke loses it.

"Will you both calm down? We are talking about the safety of hundreds of people! How can you make it about something between us?" He says, his temper rising.

"He is right." I find myself saying, and Luke looks at me. All I can think of in that moment is the kiss.

Perfect timing.

I sigh.

"Guys. This needs to be sorted out ASAP. Rupali, Amy is right. It has been long enough, you need to tell us."

It's Rupali's turn to sigh.

"All right. But you both need to hear us out, alright?"

We nod.

"Okay then. Luke?"

"Um. Okay." Luke says, and then looks straight at our faces with a dead serious expression, before continuing.

"Okay, so I don't know if you know this, but I was on the force..."

"The NYPD, yes, we are aware." Amy chimes in.

"Right. I did my duty sincerely, and the safety of New York City was the only thing I cared about. I was fresh out of the academy, I had my dream job, because I wanted to be in the police for as long as I can remember."

He has clearly taken a walk down the memory lane, his eyes get a little dreamy.

"I was told that I have what it takes to make it big, and I worked even harder. Weekends didn't exist for me anymore, but I was happy. My life was my definition of perfect. Until..."

"Until?"

"Until this rumor started making rounds, about how there was a traitor in the force. I was enraged, I couldnt accept the fact that someone amongst my colleagues, who also happened to be responsible for the safety of hundreds of people, could do such a thing."

He looks down as a silent tear escapes his eye.

"Then something happened. All I remember is waking up tied up one morning, and then waking up the next day in an abandoned car. I was confused, since I had no clue what had happened. I went home, and reported on duty on time, only to find everyone gawking at me. I was summoned to the commander's office, and to be shouted at."