31| Troy's Battle

Start from the beginning

"Of course not. You finish out the era strong, just as you did for the FG album. And then, we've been having talks of you and Torii going solo, maybe even doing something together. Let's be honest Troy. This time next year, you'll be eighteen and your sister will be nineteen. At that point in your lives, and in your careers, I'm certain you two will be over the whole girl group phase. You'll all have outgrown it."

I shook my head, standing up. I think I startled and scared Chauncey with how quickly I pushed my chair back and stood up, but I could not believe what I was hearing. Split us up, for what? Why mess up something that works? "No disrespect to you, what you feel, or what the executives at MCA think... but if my sister or I wanted to sing solo, we would have tried to get solo deals. And what about Ava and Leann?"

"What about them? They're just background, unimportant. None of the execs like them, and personally they annoy me. I'm sure something will come along for them, maybe, maybe not. I don't really care."

I shook my head again. "You know what Chauncey; sometimes you can be a real jerk. But this is an all new low for you. My answer is no, and I'd appreciate it very much if you never brought this up again."

Heading towards the door, I stopped in my tracks when he called out my name. "Whether you like it or not Troy; you are the voice of Fly Girl. As is your sister. And this won't be the last that you hear of something like this." He sat back in his seat. "At least I brought it to you with no games or gimmicks or tricks."

I nodded my head. "But you brought it to me thinking that I was a lowdown, backstabbing snake like you."

"Hey, at least my career is not hanging in the balance of this decision." I looked at him again and he shrugged, turning the corner of his lip up as if he wanted to smile. "I'm just saying Troy. Stay with the group; fine. But when that interest finally dies down, what are you going to do. These deals and offers don't come around often. Just like I can end your career, you can end it yourself before you really get the chance to do anything. Your choice, My Dear."

I nodded and walked to the door. With my hand on the knob, I looked back at Chauncey, seeing him in a whole new light. I'd lost all respect for him, all trust. "Then we'll just have to show you better than any of us can tell you. You don't have to believe in Fly Girl; but you damn well better respect us and the time that we put into doing all of this with the insane amount of pressure YOU put on us."

"It won't last Troy."

"Watch."

I walked out and slammed the door behind me, shaking my head before I headed straight to Brandy's office.

Sitting on her desk with my head down, I shook my head in complete disbelief. "You knew?"

Brandy sighed, nodding her head. "Yes, Troy, I knew. But I saw no point in bringing it up to you or your sister because I knew that Fly Girl as a whole would prove them all wrong. These execs talk so much noise about how much they're willing to invest in to each artist, groups and solo artists. They have backup plans before plan A even makes it out the door."

"I don't understand why? If we're so perfect, finally the perfect blend, why plan something else? If that was the case, they could have saved time and used us as individual artists."

"I agree, but that's how things work sometimes, Sweetie."

"It's so stupid."

"It is." Brandy stood beside me, rubbing my shoulders. "It's a dirty business, Troy, and you've gotta really love it to stick with it. There will always be somebody over Fly Girl trying to push someone out. It could be you, your sister, Ava, or Leann... at any time. It's whatever they think will work. Right now, they've got money on album two failing because that's what typically happens. Even for Grammy winners."